cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Elite Strap with battery and Link cable?

Cap_Arcona
Honored Guest

So I've been playing flight simulators for quite a while and I decided to try out in VR. It's great, I love it. One very annoying point is that the headset can't maintain a charge while plugged in to the PC, and AirLink is entirely useless (the lag is extreme when whipping your head around to track an enemy in a dogfight).

Before I spring for the strap, is it possible to stay plugged in while using the battery? Five hours of game time each weekend isn't nearly enough. Honestly wishing I'd just gotten a secondhand Rift S instead, but I can't return this now.

5 REPLIES 5

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there Cap_Arcona. We are so happy to hear that you are enjoying your headset. You should get a few hours of game time with the Elite Strap with Battery and get optimum play.

The cable link is meant for awesome transfer speed of data and for gaming. See you in the Metaverse!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

RichyRich74
Explorer

Would be nice to see questions actually answered.

@RichyRich74  The answer is actually contained in the Elite strap with battery product description.  It is not compatible with Link because the usb-c Elite battery charge point does not allow data transfer.  If you want to use Link you need to unplug the Elite battery beforehand.

I prefer to use Air Link with my Q2/rtx3090 and in that case I can leave the Elite battery connected and this then gives me 4-5 hours runtime with all my games and sims.  If I need longer runtimes I can connect my Q2 charger or an external battery pack to the Elite battery charge port.

If you don’t have a good router/WiFi setup and need to use link then I recommend searching the Amazon store for the 16ft Kuject powered link cable.  It uses your Q2 charger/cable to help maintain your headset battery at about 80%.  Like all link cables you should start off with a fully charged headset battery.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

@MetaQuestSupport Nice response... This person is clearly asking about the Elite Strap WHILE USING THE LINK CABLE! The truth is NO THE ELITE STRAP WILL NOT HELP YOU IN THIS SITUATION! Thankfully I can return mine as I was a complete idiot and bought one just assuming that type of setup was thought of by engineering. $180???? For WHAT? I can ductape a typical battery pack to the back of a standard elite strap. The Elite Strap (with Battery) is NOT COMPATIBLE with the Link Cable, so no it WILL NOT GET YOU OPTIMUM PLAYTIME! Fully charged headset with elite strap just got me ~35min of gameplay at 72Hz via AirLink, which is unacceptable. This all started off as a very promising setup, yet oversight and marketing have turned it into yet another pile of junk. Also, 99% of PCs out there do not supply enough power to keep the headset sufficiently charged while playing with the LinkCable connected. Yet another oversight, over marketed, overcharged accessory and let down from META. Great platform... 

@zhayes0887  Not sure why you get so little runtime?  With my Elite battery strap I get at least 4 hours total runtime, standalone or with Air Link.  Maybe contact Meta support because you may have a faulty elite strap battery.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers