cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR 180 videos and cameras

Attii
Honored Guest

I just got an oculus quest 2 a few days ago. I was blow away after seeing some vr 180 videos on YouTube And went online to see if I can purchase a stereoscopic 180 degree camera to make vr180 home videos. after looking online extensively i was surprised to see that every consumer level 180 vr camera was discontinued. The ones that kept popping up were the Lenovo mirage, vuze xr and Insta 360 duo. The only one that can still be purchased is the lenovo mirage which was the lowest quality of all of these. Seems like the only way to take these vr 180 videos now is by buying a stereoscopic lens for a dslr for around 3k or making your own rig with two wide angle cameras then creating the vr180 video in an editing program. This seems like too much of a hassle. Does anyone have any info on this and if there’s any product or way of easily making these videos. I did find one of these cameras online used and I’m considering buying it. But I’m wondering if I do will the files it creates be supported on the oculus quest 2 and if so how to I download them onto my device. Seems like these products got discontinued before the quest 2 even came out.

Please let me know if you know anything about this or if you have one of these products and would be willing to sell it to me.

3 REPLIES 3

Attii
Honored Guest

After researching some more I found that they sell a 360 degree 3D Camera. Which is very different than a normal 360 camera. It has 4 pairs of 2 stereoscopic lenses instead of just two wide angle lenses facing opposite directions. Maybe this is why they stopped making the 180 degree vr cameras since this seems to do this and more. The one I’m looking at is the vuze 3D 360 camera. Does anyone own one of these? Wondering if I buy one will it give me the option to take a 180 degree 3D video or will I have to convert it in some kind of editing software? If it does take 3d 180 videos how do they compare to the ones taken on the vuze xr? Is there another camera like this that anyone would recommend? Please let me know thanks.

BeagleHound
Honored Guest

I purchased a Vuze+ about a year ago, after seeing them being sold at very reasonable prices.  Unfortunately, the MacOS software didn't run on current Macs, and their technical support wasn't able to help.  I'm not certain that the company still fully exists (their last press release is Jan 2020).  Kandao has a viewfinder-type VR180 camera that came out late last year, but the early YouTube reviews are mixed (lower battery life, manual focus issues with the lenses), and possible thermal issues when run continuously.  It seems that many of the VR180 consumer cameras were out too far ahead of the market, and now that there is one (via YouTube and Oculus), many of the companies apparently ran out of funding.  There *IS* the Cannon R5 with Dual Fisheye lens that looks absolutely amazing, but that's coupled with a professional-price (˜$6k) that professionals can afford, but is clearly outside of the range of even most Pro-Sumer/Consumer buyers.  ZCam runs ˜$3k (still above consumer pricing).  If you find a solution that works for you *AND* is in a consumer price range, please let us all know!

By the way, I returned the Vuze+, and picked up a 360 camera instead.  No 3D, but I was able to load in SOME videos.  After seeing the videos in the TESTED app, and YouTubeVR, I'm still looking for a VR180 solution that is less than $1000 and can handle videos of up to an hour.

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?