cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop via Link Cable on

zaius55
Honored Guest

This seems like a simple question but I can't find any answers.

I would like to use virtual desktop on the Quest 2 via the link cable (NOT WIFI) just to troubleshoot connections and utilize the neat environment features of the app.  Is this possible?  

I play FPS's that are 2D on my quest and using the oculus desktop "button" doesn't provide the nice features of screen sizing and everything else that virtual desktop does (and the games spontaneously crash).  Is there another alternative other than VD or the oculus desktop?  How do I get it not to crash?

Thanks,

Bob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hey guys! Thanks to everyone for chiming in! When using the Quest 2 or Quest Pro (or Quest 1) with Link or Air Link, it connects to the Rift software, so it'll be able to play Rift games only. The PC software is always going to be able to play Rift games but never Quest games, but if you have a cross-platform game, you can play it on the Quest 2 and the Rift (when they connect to the PC). We hope you find this information helpful!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there Bob! Thanks for reaching out and enquiring on a totally awesome question. We'll be happy to guide you with that.

Good news is no, you don't need WiFi to use Virtual Desktop as long as you are wired with Ethernet cable to a 5GHz AC or AX router.

We've listed a couple of links for Virtual Desktop for you in case you need more information.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2017050365004772/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/382110/Virtual_Desktop/ 

Let us know if you have any other questions!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

I don't think that that is the question as I have exactly the same.

Can Virtual desktop be run over LINK CABLE instead of WiFi?

Hey Luka_ZD, this is a great question. You should be able to use the branded link cable we provided with your headset to use Virtual Desktop!

how?  i cant make it connect

Heya @daniel.gdlv. We will be more than happy to help you with this. Can you tell us if you are getting any error messages when are you trying to connect it?

Virtual desktop app, is only for wifi.  The link cable doesn't work with the virtual desktop app only the oculus PC app.

Hey @daniel.gdlv. We are reaching out to see if you could tell us if you are facing any error messages when connecting to your PC? We look forward to your response and figuring this all out.

Yes, You can! I'm using it. But You need to purchase the wired version.

Virtual Desktop has 2 versions: Wired and wireless. Wired is available on Steam. Virtual Desktop from Meta App Store is wireless.

Connect your quest with cable link and after that run the wired Virtual Desktop from Steam.   

You need to buy the wired version...

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?