cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Wifi 6e routers currently works bug free with the Quest 3?

tfosseli
Adventurer

Hi! Just wanted to post here to get a seperate thread going. As of today there is a major bug in communication between Quest 3 and certain types of Router models. 

So let's get a list started on Wifi 6e routers that actually work. What Router do you have experience with being stable at 2400 Mbps in dedicated 6e mode?

Remember to post Router name and model and screen grabs/video from the Quest 3 showing the speed. (Turn on experimental wifi settings to do so.)

This is by no account a list that is for everyone. So far I found that some of the more expensive models between 350-700$/€ have been reported to work. So meta still has a major bug to fix. But if you can afford it, this might be is a way around the problem… 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

The bug explained:

There is a bug with negotiation rates with certain router models. Essentially AX and AXE models but more might also be affected. I have been investigating this bug since launch and finally both Meta and TP-Link have confirmed that the Quest3s negotiation protokolls with the routers is very unstable. This problem is totally unrelated to VD or AirPlay functionality, but it's here you'll notice the problem.

As of right now the Mbps can flux from approximately 1080 to 1900 on 6G and ocasinaly dip down below 800. Making it stutter and glitch in latency.

On 5G it will flux between 1080 and 420 Mbps making it essentially unusable in wireless PC streaming.

Both Meta and TP-Link are currently investigating the problem.

Meta has stated that the problem will be fixed with a firmware build in the near future.

If your experiencing this bug and want to follow its progress you can follow this seperate thread:

https://communityforums.atmeta.com/t5/Get-Help/Unstable-wifi-covarage-with-Quest-3-on-some-Router-Br...

204 REPLIES 204

This was also in my mind that the problem is probably temporary in Quest 3 and can be fixed in a software update in the future. But the GT-AX6000 has a stronger signal, more powerful cpu and more memory. And a similar problem has not occurred as in the 5Ghz network in the AXE7800 router. GT-AX6000 and RT-AXE7800 are still in different categories in any case in terms of models. If you can try the router so that the return right still exists after that, then it's worth trying it first.

Thanks a lot for your help ! I ordered also GT-AX6000 and I will return one of them. Probably will be AXE7800...

I have the GT-AXE16000, which is arguably the best 6E router money can buy, and there is virtually no perceivable difference between 5ghz and 6ghz bands because both are 2400mbps when set to 160mhz channel width, the biggest difference is the range on 6ghz is a lot worse than 5ghz.

The only time you'd see a big difference between the GT-AX6000 and other options is two scenarios:

1. 5ghz is ultra congested near you (big apartment building or live near radar/weather station) resulting in wifi interference on both 160mhz wifi blocks. The only option here is 6ghz, like the GT-AXE16000.

2. You have a ton of 5ghz devices on your home network that are adding latency to Quest 3 performance.  In this case, getting a triband 6 router like the GT-AX11000 PRO and giving Quest 3 its own 5ghz band should solve this problem, and is a lot cheaper than the GT-AXE16000.  Although, in many cases adding the QOS optimizations to the GT-AX6000 I detailed in another post can solve this also.

If 1 or 2 does not apply to your home network, the GT-AX6000 at 5ghz will work just as well as any 6E router at 6ghz.

Ruined
Heroic Explorer

Just as a 11/26/23 update to this topic, from everyone's feedback and my own experience the routers I'd feel safe recommending for most (but not all) countries are the below:

High-end featureset (Mesh capability, extensive network configuration options, and/or max range/signal)

1. ASUS GT-AX6000 (~$260 - 2.4ghz, 5ghz)

2. ASUS GT-AX11000 PRO (~$350 - 2.4ghz, 5ghz-1, 5ghz-2)

3. ASUS GT-AXE16000 (~$500 - 2.4ghz, 5ghz-1, 5ghz-2, 6ghz)

4. ASUS RT-AX88U PRO (~$260 - internal hardware nearly identical to GT-AX6000)

5. ASUS RT-AX86U PRO (~$220 - 2.4ghz, 5ghz; note: high end features, but range more limited vs the above)

All five of these routers use the same main CPU and wifi chipset.  The difference is mainly in band configuration, number of antennas, ports, etc.

Mid-range featureset (May not have mesh capability, limited configuration options, and/or lesser range)

1. MSI RadiX AXE6600 (~$190 - 2.4ghz, 5ghz, 6ghz)

I plan on trying the ASUS ZenWifi Pro ET12 as I have the added disadvantage of not being able to play near the main router.  

I currently have the ASUS RT-AX88u Pro - but am having the typical Airlink stutter/lag/crash.  I'm hoping that a triband will allow me to give the quest its own band.

If it doesn't improve the wifi in my home and the quest then back it goes.

Do you have any settings you would like to share?  Or settings that are DO NOT USE?

The Zen Wi-Fi is a no-go

If you want tri-band I would get the GT-AX11000 Pro, gt-axe16000, or MSI Radix axe6600

Also I don't think crashing is normal even for people with problems. You may want to make sure you don't have VPN enabled or some other issue with your PC

by crashing- I mean I get the peripheral video stutter in Zenith VR, then that game just stops.  The quest itself does not.    

VPN gets turned off when I play.

The RT-AX88U PRO is one people usually have success with, which is why I am suspecting something else going on other than router 

well dang.  No VPN.  I use Bitdefender for AV and Firewall.  Airlink is connecting just having games stutter/visual and stop.  VRChat as well but not as bad as Zenith.    Router is in a den, I play in a room down and around a hall.  Total sq footage of house is 2000.  I had turned off the ASUS protection stuff to see helped.  Added both the computer (ethernet to router) and the Quest 3 to game prioritizing. 

QoS is set to Games 

Signal strength where I stand is pretty stable at 300Mpbs.  Speed via ethernet tests at 940

I could get a cheaper Asus mesh router and mesh that way to see if signal improves.  

Or perhaps it is the Quest itself.

Q2 works fine

AlkisTse
Explorer

deleted