cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What type of company doesnt have a call center

Ray2kay
Explorer
I want to Cancel my order ASAP, I just receive the Shipping processing email. I already bought the thing from amazon and want to cancel right away but there is no way to call or stop it immediately. What type of company is Oculus running where you cant even get a person on the phone line to help with situation. Im completely disappointed with the route they took with customer care.
57 REPLIES 57

that's forums for you  @CrashFu... I bet if you met those same people in real life, you'd be hard pushed to match them with their on-line persona..... I could be completely wrong of course!

I could be a complete b@stard in real life

...storm by name storm by nature

CrashFu
Consultant

that's forums for you  @CrashFu... I bet if you met those same people in real life, you'd be hard pushed to match them with their on-line persona..... I could be completely wrong of course!

I could be a complete b@stard in real life

Nah, I just can't see it. People who are angry jerks online tend to be angry jerks on the phone, too.  In person they might be afraid to start a confrontation... unless the person they're talking to is smaller than them, in which case they'll go right ahead and be an angry jerk.  Former school bullies, no doubt.

As for me, I'm exactly the same in person as online! Well, I usually talk a lot less, but other than that..
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

@LZoltowski was going to organise a get-together... for the UK folks at least... maybe the first thing we should do is hand out profile pics and see if we can match them with the right person, easy enough for those who use real photos I grant you!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I once met up with an entire guild for a weekend, it can be cute n' all but it's a bit nerdy too lol

As for the topic at hand, lets keep in mind that so far the absolute best way someone can get customer support is to contact cybereality directly. Then he goes and spends a few hours (or even a day) trying to track someone at Oculus down who can help put this on their "to do list."

That's exactly what would happen if Oculus launched a call center right now. Someone would write down what you said, hang up, and then you'd get an email sometime in the future after someone was tracked down. Maybe. But once call volume increased beyond a clipping level, even that would become non-effective and people would be back on the forums.

The day that cybereality is able to launch a piece of software to handle whatever customer support requests come in through the forum within minutes; that's the day Oculus can start to consider a call center.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

@Zenbane 

As I've said many times, Oculus is no longer at the DK stage, it's no longer dealing with developers and beta testers. It's dealing with the paying public, the consumer market, and it's about bloody time they stepped up in terms of good customer care.  

You typed "bloody time" but you don't seem to realize how long "bloody time" takes to implement when it comes to matching a technical infrastructure against a working operational infrastructure. All you're doing is typing up standard consumerism demands, without the realism.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
You can't answer a customers questions in real-time without a CRM solution in place, and that's technical.

JED44
Rising Star
To interject into this, I see the points being made here and they are pretty well thought out. @Zenbane you have a big point about the sheer amount of work that goes into having the type of call center service I think alot of people really take for granted in this day and age. It is one of those things that consumers kind of expect to just be there and work and don't think of all the systems that need to be in place to well, make it happen as smoothly as it does. 

At this stage in the game I don't think its unreasonable for people to expect something akin to that with Oculus. Though there is the question of the time and money needed to implement something that works better then how things are currently solved.

My only interjection is to bring up the question of whether its reasonable to expect Oculus to have already begun putting such systems into place in the two years since the Facebook acquisition, and prior to the launch of their first real commercial product? I mean it is true that such systems are not in place right now, and cannot be rushed, but is it reasonable to say that Oculus had enough time and money to begin planning such systems between then and the launch of CV1 in March? 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Well jesus, JED, of course the Internet is gonna say, "yes they had more than enough time!"

But virtually every business and technology consulting firm will attest to the fact that the exact opposite is true on a global scale, which is why business and technology consulting firms are so successful in the first place.

Appealing to mass Internet consensus does not reflect how things really happen.

JED44
Rising Star
I don't know anything about the processes necessary or industry examples, So I did not want to argue it either way; merely wanted to bring up the point for discussion cause it was one of the first thoughts that struck me. More so asking whether that would be possible/reasonable from a business standpoint. I am sure people on this forum have more experience with that sort of thing then I do. 

For instance are there any examples of how long putting such systems into place takes? and how do those situations reflect or differ from the position that Oculus has been/is in. Are there companies that have been able to do so prior to the launch of their service/product? If so how come and if not what are the reasons typically?