cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the dominant hand setting on Quest 3?

Ogun07
Explorer

How do I set the dominant hand on the Quest 3 to my right hand? It switched to my left with no warning and is stuck like that within the home page and various titles.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

kojack
MVP
MVP

The Oculus Go used to have a dominant hand setting, since it has a single ambidextrous controller and fakes it's position to be on your left or right (it has no position tracking).

But on the Quests and Rifts both hands have equal control in the OS, either simultaneous or whichever controller last had the index trigger pressed. (Except the menu and home button that can be swapped in the menu as Hiro said above)

For 3rd party apps, that's up to their developers. I know a few have hard coded left/right hands (DoomVFR), some have it in the settings (Halflife Alyx) and most are both.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hi @Ogun07  Well in Settings/Devices/Controllers you can set the Meta and burger menu buttons (swap them).

Also check Settings/Accessibility/Mobility where you can change the same thing, plus some others.

When it comes to setting a dominant hand, I  don't remember a setting for that in Quest Home.  I know some apps do set that?  What's making you say this?  What's happening?

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Ogun07
Explorer

Thanks for your response. I looked in all those places but did not find an option. On the home screen I can select but not click on any items with the right controller. The same is true in some games where the dominant hand is preset to left when it was previously right (e.g. when doing light sabre training in Star Wars: Vader Immortal).  

kojack
MVP
MVP

The Oculus Go used to have a dominant hand setting, since it has a single ambidextrous controller and fakes it's position to be on your left or right (it has no position tracking).

But on the Quests and Rifts both hands have equal control in the OS, either simultaneous or whichever controller last had the index trigger pressed. (Except the menu and home button that can be swapped in the menu as Hiro said above)

For 3rd party apps, that's up to their developers. I know a few have hard coded left/right hands (DoomVFR), some have it in the settings (Halflife Alyx) and most are both.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Just thought @Ogun07  - you haven't done what I did a couple of months ago and remapped your controllers (Settings/Accessibility/Re-map controller) - I then went on holiday, came back and forgot I'd remapped them?

I was very angry at the Lego Bricktales game which I was sure was completely broken for about 2 hours.

😂

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Thanks for the info. As I hadn't altered the accessibility settings, I tried starting the Quest using only one controller (dominant hand) and everything is back to usual. 

No remapping in this case, I probably confused some of the older software titles by using the left hand controller to navigate the menu options. Glad you're able to play your games again without that feeling of what have I done! 

Ps. I've also noted that the controller with the 'blue light' pointing beam is treated as dominant for the purpose of menus and older titles. It can be tricky to switch assign it from controller to controller, but the process seems to work by using the second thumb trigger button to indicate which controller you want it to work with. 

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?