cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are the graphics displayed on my quest 2 so much worse than what's displaying on my pc?

GergaBumbopants
Honored Guest

One problem that I have had for months now is that the quest 2 display quality when I'm connected to my pc is extremely bad, it looks worse connected to my pc than standalone. That just doesn't make any sense to me. I contacted support about this around Christmas and they said that it was because windows 11 isn't supported yet. My question then is: When is Windows 11 getting support? And does anyone have any workarounds that will get the quest to display what is being rendered in better quality. The oculus debug software is nowhere to be found on my computer, and I have searched for it so I'm not sure where that is, but consider that not an option for a workaround, unless you know a way to gain access to it.

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700KF, 16 Gigabits ram, RTX 3060 TI, Windows 11

4 REPLIES 4

GergaBumbopants
Honored Guest

Forget the graphics not working, now the oculus link doesn't even open without crashing anymore. This is some stupid stuff, why does it say stuff is supported when it doesn't work?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Nothing is more important than VR on my rig. There are 2 simple rules that always must be followed:

1) Never use an operating system not officially supported by Oculus.

2) Never use any hardware like cpus or gpus not officially supported by Oculus.

Of course, if you do not care about VR, use whatever you like. Oculus may take months or even years to support new stuff, so never try to be ahead of Oculus.

I did not buy the RTX 3090 until I was sure it was fully supported by Oculus etc. I do not gamble with support and image quality in the most awesome games ever made by humans - like Lone Echo 2, Asgard's Wrath etc. Why would anyone risk perfect VR performance and immersion for something as totally meaningless as a new operating system?

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Thanks for the help. That really helped to solve my problem! I didn't choose to go to Windows 11, I got a new pc that is automatically on Windows 1, and it not that crazy to think that Oculus should support the largest operating system Windows.

I fully understand your frustration, but having been here for soon 5 years, you do get an idea how things work. I do not blindly install the latest Nvidia drivers etc - knowing that Oculus may be months behind (and of course Oculus needs some time to adjust for new software and the like). 

You may want to consider going back to Win10, or live with some Win11 issues for no-one really knows how long. 

As you can see with the recent v37 problems among other issues, Oculus has much work to do just getting Win10 to work perfectly, not sure they wish to consider Win11 too 😉 So you adapt to fit Oculus' requirements - it's not the other way around - that said, I'm sure Win11 support will arrive someday. When it does, then I'll start to consider getting Win11, not one day before (and then I'll probably wait 6 months or so, because the very first Oculus software for Win11 may have some issues). 2c.

Btw, just an example - the 3050 Ti (laptop model) launched May 11 2021 - it seems it's still not supported:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Oculus-Quest-2-and-Quest/Oculus-not-compatible-with-Nvidia-Geforce-RT...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"