cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does oculus stop my screensaver/computer sleep from working.

Panther11
Honored Guest
I have been having an issue with my screensaver and computer sleep I've tried all sorts of fixes to get them working again, The last thing I tried was to force-ably shut down (End Task) oculus background processes, my screensaver/sleep are working again but when I went to oculus to play a game I got a runtime.exe error and had to reinstall oculus all over again, Please tell me why oculus is doing this it should not stop screensaver or computer sleep. Energy saving is a big thing so not allowing the computer to sleep is not energy efficient. 
8 REPLIES 8

Inachu
Protege
Hmmm Oculus running in the background and maybe you fell asleep in VR and you prefer waking up with goggles on your head and prefer seeing a screen saver.    
I think would just then make Oculus force you to see yet another black screen in the goggles as the screen saver is not made for VR.    So VR is treated as a video which tells the pc not to sleep while video plays.    
I am sure there is more to it than that.

Sabrejet
Protege
I was wondering the same thing myself.  Even with it off and out of program it does the same. 

cybereality
Grand Champion
I've never heard of this before, and never had any issue on my machines. Are you using any sort of custom screensaver or anything that doesn't come with Windows? Can you please submit a support ticket? Thanks. 
https://support.oculus.com/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Panther11
Honored Guest

I've never heard of this before, and never had any issue on my machines. Are you using any sort of custom screensaver or anything that doesn't come with Windows? Can you please submit a support ticket? Thanks. 
https://support.oculus.com/

I am using Windows bubbles screensaver and tried all the other windows screensavers but none of them work when oculus is installed on my pc. My system comprises of gigabyte z270x gaming 7 motherboard, i7 7700k cpu, gtx 1080 ti xtreme gpu, nzxt kraken x62 cpu cooler, 16gb corsair vengence led 3200 ram, evga 1000w supernova psu, Samsung 960 evo M.2 250gb, WD 500gb, WD 1tb, WD 3tb all wrapped in a nzxt phantom full tower so no problems with air flow or over heating.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Panther11 said:

I have been having an issue with my screensaver and computer sleep I've tried all sorts of fixes to get them working again, The last thing I tried was to force-ably shut down (End Task) oculus background processes, my screensaver/sleep are working again but when I went to oculus to play a game I got a runtime.exe error and had to reinstall oculus all over again, Please tell me why oculus is doing this it should not stop screensaver or computer sleep. Energy saving is a big thing so not allowing the computer to sleep is not energy efficient. 

To play fair here - screensavers don't actually save any power. You are better off letting the monitor turn off than having something displaying. Monitors take more power than the computer when idle and having something even simple as bubbles actually draws 100 times more power than just turning your computer off.

What are screensaver used for you might ask? They are used to keep the monitor from burning in the image of the desktop over time. That really is their only purpose. With today's LCDs that really can't happen and when it does 10+ years it's usually time to get a new monitor anyways. Unless you use a old CTR - modern monitors just really don't have any more need for a screensaver.

Even if you understand that, I am just explaining it for others that might not know so sorry if I am explaining something you might already know.

Please note that this is a community ran help section and that we are not Oculus direct support. We can help with some basic fixes and can be a bit faster than Oculus direct support, but advance help might only be available at Oculus direct support. At any time if feel you need more advanced support please feel free to reach out to support by sending a ticket here: https://tickets.oculusvr.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

With that said without some logs it's hard to tell what it could be. Please read here https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-... and follow the second part to gather the logs for us and upload them to this thread so we may have a better idea on what is going on.

Sabrejet
Protege
Ever since I went to Nvidia driver 388.59, I haven't had any more issues. 

FaithTheSlayer
Explorer
My PC doesn't have any issues with sleeping but it does with the SS

Apexi_
Honored Guest
Anyone manage too solve this problem? I'm having same problem with my screen saver and the only solution i've found it to disable Oculus VR Runtime Service and set it to manual. OFC, this means that you have too manually start it every time you use your rift.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?