cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Link / AirLink so Unstable ??

PanDamien
Protege

I literally tried everything, Clean installing my PC , reinstalling the Oculus app multiple times, resetting the headset.
I can't play more than 2 hours before Link becomes absolutely unusable.
As soon as there is a some load into the game, the Oculus dashboard and all its services just crash leaving me with no controllers gestures (hand stays stuck open) and a 1 fps VR experience on a 1200€ "Pro" Headset and a 3K € High end Laptop.
I previously was using a Quest 2 with Virtual Desktop and you guys need to explain to me how a single dev Is capable of making a streaming app that is 1000% more stable than Link.
I'm forced to use Link for getting all the face tracking data, but I swear I soon as Virtual Desktop releases an update to support it I'm out of here.
This is truly unbelievable and I have to fight with Link every single time I try to play VR and I'm done.

Using AirLink Fixed and adaptative 60Mbps is unstable. 
Tried messing around with the Oculus dev tool.
Also tried using the Official Link cable but I get red bars at the bottom of the screen because you don't know how to manage your encode/decode. (An issue that is not present when using AirLink because another method to encode/decode is used...)

Please for the love of god.

Meta Quest Pro
I7-12700H / RTX 3070 Ti / 32Gb DDR5 / Ethernet to a Wi-Fi 6 router with no other devices connected.
Windows 11 Pro
No Beta Firmware of any software.

And please don't tell me it's my Windows, a software I'm running or my quest having a hardware problem, I already checked and it's not the case.
60 REPLIES 60

TheAntiSocializer
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Alright - I've been monitoring this for the past hour or two, I understand there are some disagreements but let's try to keep things civil please. 

Sometimes it's okay to be a little Bing Chilling

When did i say 3070 TI Laptop > 3070 Desktop ?

i just wrote 3070 Ti > 3070 as a generality. My example exactly means 3070 TI Laptop > 3070 Laptop and 3070 Ti Desktop > 3070 Desktop.

The cooling depends of the model and you can always add a cooling pad if you want to . Same goes for the power even tho it will still be up to Nvidia to release X versions of the laptop card that supports different wattage. And the decision of buying a gaming laptop is entirely up to usage and personnal preferences . In my case i won’t bring a xx Kg desktop tower between my homes , school and work place. 

I have a couple different desktop configurations, my highest tier is a 3080ti, and when I run VR that thing is cooking.  No way in heck a laptop is keeping up.  Even with a cooling pad you are still limited by case design and the laptops power brick which if you look on the side of it you no where near the watts to produce a quality VR experience.  Also laptop manufacturers are borderline lying about performance when they throw the ti model in them.  VR is vastly different than flat gaming.  

Standard tdp for a laptop 3070 ti is 80 watts according to Nvidia with boost up to 125 watts.  And keep in mind running at boost has dimishing returns.  Where as desktop 3070 runs at 220 watts with boost up to 290.

Here's your VR Benchmarks alongside the steamVR Benchmark ( i know this one means nothing ) 

https://www.3dmark.com/vrm/95293687
https://www.3dmark.com/vrm/95293827
https://www.3dmark.com/vrm/95293942
Capture d’écran 2023-06-06 184317.png
So now can we stop talking about my laptop supposedly not being able to run vr ( spoiler it does run ) and go back to the Encode/Decode problems that everyone is talking about ? 
Here's another post talking about something that i had as well when it doesn't crash on me : https://communityforums.atmeta.com/t5/Get-Help/White-horizontal-stripe-across-screen-while-using-lin...

That tool is wrong for quest based headsets.  You need to benchmark actual performance.  If you want to keep banging your head on the wall by all means keep using bad tools.

Sure, the 3DMark team don’t know how to make good benchmarks.

Anyway if you want your result just go search them yourself. Not my fault you’re so stubborn.

Dude you are the stubborn one. You start a thread about link issues. You are unwilling to listen to real advice.  The steam compatibility app only looks at bios, and performs a check.  

You’re the one telling me my laptop is too **bleep** to run VR on it when it’s totally capable of doing so. Also i already said in my previous post that i did include the steam benchmark but i knew this one meant nothing, did you not open the 3 links i sent ? And again : my Link issues are caused by the oculus software being **bleep**. Just look at everyone else’s post about it. Was just curious to see if anyone had any real good workaround but all i get are people saying « gngngngn laptops can’t run VR» 

And now the post is totally filled with that and the support is two click away from locking the post.