cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the Oculus app running even after I exit it?

austen520
Honored Guest
I've been using oculus link for the past week or so with my Quest, and I have to admit it is really amazing how well it works. Huge appreciation from me that you guys stretched my ~$400 so far in terms of value with the Quest, and gigantic props to your engineers.

I did notice something a little odd the other day though that I'm hoping you all can clarify for me. After exiting the Oculus app, I happened to open up task manager a few days later and noticed that there were still all four Oculus related processes running:
  • OculusClient.exe (x3)
  • OVRRedir.exe
  • OVRServer_x64.exe
  • OVRServiceLauncher.exe
Again, this was three days after I had even touched the Oculus or interacted with your software in any way. Below are some screenshots of Process Monitor and Resource Monitor before and after closing the Oculus application.

While Oculus application is running

xccja35022l5.png

After closing Oculus application

7kxwageo4jh1.png

Process activity after closing the application

Below is a screenshot of the processes activities captured from Processor Explorer.
cvpsdahl7t27.png
Not only are the Oculus processes still running, but at least one is actively communicating over the internet.

Why is this happening? Are the processes kept active deliberately even after I've closed the app (maybe to keep games up-to-date behind the scenes?), or is this a bug?

5 REPLIES 5

Wali763
Explorer
I just saw, that OVRServer_x64.exe is using quite a bit of recources (up to 2% CPU) even if I do not start Oculus Home.  Anyone can tell me, why this is necessary for OVRServer_x64.exe to use so much CPU-time??? I now managed to set the service to manual startup and when I start Oculus Traytool the related services get started.
I just dont feel comfortable having a facebook-app constantly use my CPU, knot knowing why....

Basti612
Honored Guest

I can't find how to prevent it to run at start up. I have the same problem with Steam and Adobe Creative Cloud deamon.

I stop them from opening a window and fully start after booting. But there stil are deamon processes running in background which start automatically when booting.

Does anyone know how to stop them from starting by themselves ?

PITTCANNA
Visionary

Its running in the background as an always on approach.  Because of air-link / link it will launch the app immediately if it detects these are in use.

Basti612
Honored Guest

For air-link, it doesn't make sense, since you need to activate it every 24h in the app. For link, it kind of make sense, but i would like to stop it anyway (for multiple reasons, but especially because I am a control freak and I want to know and control what runs on my computer). Unfortunately, I can't find another way than killing it with the task manager. The process is not in the task manager "startup tab" nor in windows "services" panel...

So how can I stop it at start up ? 

kojack
MVP
MVP

Go into task manager and the services tab. Select OVRService and stop it or disable it. That will shut down all oculus software and stop any of them restarting.

Or press the windows key and type services. Then Select Oculus VR Runtime Service (it's the same OVRService as above). You now get the same start and stop options, but also properties which lets you change the startup type to manual instead of automatic.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?