cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-fi and Airlink connection difficulties: No internet and/or network bridging

cwoculator
Explorer

Hi all. I've been using various Oculus headsets for a while but just recently got a new Quest 2 (one of the RE4 packages). It has the latest firmware (v47) on it, and I'm trying to use Airlink with the typical dedicated-router setup. That is, I have a dedicated Wi-fi 5 router connected to a PC and set up as an access point, and the PC gets internet via Wi-fi connection to my main router. However, I am having 2 different issues with network connectivity that prevent use of Airlink:

(1) The headset refuses to stay connected to the access point router *if* it has no internet connection. Everywhere I've read has stated that this setup should work: Make the access point use a 5GHz connection (with fixed channels and bandwidth) and the headset should connect even without internet. But, what happens instead is that it will connect, show the expected "Connected, no internet" status, and then after a minute or so the headset will freeze for a bit and disconnect, switching to the main (internet-connected) router before resuming operation. I'm close to 100% convinced this is a bug in the headset firmware that is perhaps trying to pull data down from a server and then getting confused. I'm convinced it's a bug because:

(2) If I set the main Wi-fi and the access point together in a Windows network bridge, which causes the access point to now share the internet connection, the headset can connect to it and maintain a rock-solid connection, allowing browsing of the store and other content. However, in this configuration the headset cannot find the Oculus app on the host PC to pair and make an Airlink connection. The PC simply doesn't show up in the Link menu. Keep in mind, when the connections are bridged, all the connections look like they are on the same network: Same IP address range, same subnet mask, all legit and all connections working on all devices, EXCEPT the Airlink. As soon as I swap the headset back to the main Wi-fi, Airlink fires right up but is unusable because it's not directly tethered to the PC.

The access point router is a TP-Link Archer A6 (v2) which is a model that has been well-documented to work. I've tried various configurations of SSID, DHCP, channels, etc etc without any success and frankly it's disappointing as well as maddening. Link cable works fine but the whole point of my buying the headset was to play wirelessly, and it would really suck if that was not possible to set up. I also have a really common configuration so I'd be surprised if no one else has encountered a similar problem (and I've googled far and wide already).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, cwoculator! We don't like to see our users have this kind of issue. We know how important it is to get everything working as it should. Not to worry. We recommend you connect with our specialized team here. We'll be able to better assist you with this issue. If you would please attach your PC log files to your ticket, this will allow us to determine the cause of the issue. If you need assistance creating a ticket, please let us know!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

cwoculator
Explorer

Hello, thank you for your response. I've created the log file but I don't see a way to make a ticket on the site you linked. If you can set up a ticket for me or show me where to do so then I can provide the logs to your dev team, as I think it may be of use to them.

Otherwise, I should mention that I've found a solution in case other users encounter similar problems, here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/myoc2x/how_to_set_up_dedicated_router_for_airlink/gvwf...

TL;DR: Set the dedicated router into repeater mode (called "WDS" for TP-Link routers) instead of access point mode, set it to repeat the internet from the main router, and connect the dedicated router to the PC via ethernet cable in order to provide the PC with internet. Then connect the headset to the dedicated router via Wi-fi and the headset will be able to find the PC *and* have internet.

Hey, cwoculator! Thanks for the update. We'll provide the steps to create a ticket for you to contact us directly!

First, go ahead and visit our site here. Once on the main menu, please select "Software or Content." Then, scroll all the way down and select "Other software or content issue." You will then be able to select how you would like to connect with us. We recommend using the "Chat" option, as this will connect you with a live agent ready to help you out. We hope this makes it easier for you to connect with us. If you have any further questions, please let us know!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!