cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will airlink work with 2 routers?

Sillienore
Explorer

Hi! 

I have recently bought a quest 2 and been loving it. Currently im trying to use the airlink function and it does connect but its laggy as hell. I've come to find out the issue stems from my laptop being connected to the network via wifi (5ghz) and it needs to be connected with cable to work smoothly.

My question is will airlink work if i use a 2nd router and connect my pc through it via cable while my quest 2 is connected to the main router? Note that i have a philips bridge connected in the same room thats taking the only cable running to that room so i need a multiplier ie a router for my 2nd cable (pc). 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

vabchgent
Protege

I run dual routers with no problem, Just make sure, you use different channels on the router... I use the same name for the wireless on both routers , but set the channel differently on both... 5GHZ has a channel and 2.4GHZ has a channel (On both routers)..  Set the wireless password the same.. You can walk thru the house and keep signal with no problems... Second router works a pass thru. You connect to one of the PC/Lan network ports on the second router not the internet port. Then you need to set the second router as a passthru... You need to set the DNS on the second router to the first one... Example the DNS of the primary router is 192.168.1.1 then in the second router you would set DNS to 192.168.1.1 ... You will also need to set the router to the next available IP address. Example main router is 192.168.1.1  then you would want the second router to be 192.168.1.2 . You should go look online for the exact instructions.. You will need to use a laptop/PC to set the static IP on the second router... Then connect it to the first... 

View solution in original post

For anyone later reading this and trying to find a solution to their similiar problem; the thing i bought and connected to my pc worked like a charm. It works as an extender and not a standalone router so everything is still on the same network air link works great now and i've been slowly getting hooked by half life alyx.

If like me, you have a single cable running to your room where your pc is and its a total chore/expense to get another one just to have one more ethernet connection then i can recommend this tp link ls1005(has different options), you will want to be on the same network for quest 2 to work properly if i understood that part well and this little thing(its really compact) is the answer for it. Note: it doesnt have wifi as its not a router but more like a multiplier. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @Sillienore, That's fantastic; we love hearing that! We can totally understand how tedious a laggy connection can be.

Not to worry, we will help so that it does not spoil your VR time.

Kindly note that the setup that you have in mind will cause lag and will not work for what you have in mind. Everything will need to be on the same router to work properly.

To get you pointed in the right direction, we have included an article on connecting Meta Quest 2 with your PC and Airlink.

Please let us know if you have any questions. Happy Holidays!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Hi!

Thank you for your reply, if using a 2nd router directly connected to my main router will cause lag as you say then i still need a solution as i mentioned the ethernet cable running to the room my laptop is already taken by my philips bridge and i am in need to multiply that one cable into 2 to use it for my laptop.

Will using the 2nd router as a simple access point solve anything or change nothing? 

@Sillienore In short, you wouldn't be able to connect the headset and PC together if they're on two different routers. They'd need to be on the same router to read each other properly. 

You'd have to either get a better router with more connections or use your headset + laptop in another room closer to the router. 

Sometimes it's okay to be a little Bing Chilling

Really sorry for the late reply, i havent seen the notification. After reading your reply i went on and did some research and found this little switch, tp link ls1005. It doesnt have a configuration and if im not misunderstanding something it works as an extension so you are still on one network. Will something like this work? 

While it is probable to work, this does seem to be climbing out of my scope. If you do get it and still continue to have issues, I'd recommend reaching out to our support team with a ticket. They'd be able to provide some proper assistance from here. 

Sometimes it's okay to be a little Bing Chilling

vabchgent
Protege

I run dual routers with no problem, Just make sure, you use different channels on the router... I use the same name for the wireless on both routers , but set the channel differently on both... 5GHZ has a channel and 2.4GHZ has a channel (On both routers)..  Set the wireless password the same.. You can walk thru the house and keep signal with no problems... Second router works a pass thru. You connect to one of the PC/Lan network ports on the second router not the internet port. Then you need to set the second router as a passthru... You need to set the DNS on the second router to the first one... Example the DNS of the primary router is 192.168.1.1 then in the second router you would set DNS to 192.168.1.1 ... You will also need to set the router to the next available IP address. Example main router is 192.168.1.1  then you would want the second router to be 192.168.1.2 . You should go look online for the exact instructions.. You will need to use a laptop/PC to set the static IP on the second router... Then connect it to the first... 

For anyone later reading this and trying to find a solution to their similiar problem; the thing i bought and connected to my pc worked like a charm. It works as an extender and not a standalone router so everything is still on the same network air link works great now and i've been slowly getting hooked by half life alyx.

If like me, you have a single cable running to your room where your pc is and its a total chore/expense to get another one just to have one more ethernet connection then i can recommend this tp link ls1005(has different options), you will want to be on the same network for quest 2 to work properly if i understood that part well and this little thing(its really compact) is the answer for it. Note: it doesnt have wifi as its not a router but more like a multiplier.