cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the 45w quest pro charger improve charging time of the quest 3, or will it only draw 18w?

3d-illusions.co.uk
Adventurer

Will the 45w quest pro charger improve charging time of the quest 3, or is the quest 3 limited to only draw 18w for safety reasons?

If 45w is suitable, would a 45w power bank need to have specific amps and voltage to avoid damage to the quest battery?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J40NYR
MVP
MVP

hi @3d-illusions.co.uk 

Unfortunately not. The headset itself decides how much power it wants to draw from the socket. Any power brick over 18w will not result in faster charging time unfortunately.

Hope this helps

Jonny

Quest 2, Quest 3, PCVR, Meta Wayfarer

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

J40NYR
MVP
MVP

hi @3d-illusions.co.uk 

Unfortunately not. The headset itself decides how much power it wants to draw from the socket. Any power brick over 18w will not result in faster charging time unfortunately.

Hope this helps

Jonny

Quest 2, Quest 3, PCVR, Meta Wayfarer

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello, we wanted to stop by and see if our assistance was needed. It seems that @J40NYR has the right information at this time. We thank you for that. We also appreciate you reaching out @3d-illusions.co.uk for answers to your question. We thank you both and hope you are having a great time in the wonderful world of VR.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Thanks.  Well at least that simplifies finding a power bank 👍

3d-illusions.co.uk
Adventurer

Does the power bank I get have to have specific voltage and amps to avoid damaging the quest battery?  For example would a bank that only outputs 20.0v at 1.5a (30.0w) damage the quest's battery?

I also notice the uk plug outputs both 5v-3a (15w) and 9v-2a (20w), whereas the US plug outputs 5v-3a (15w) and 9v-2a (18w)

Should I look for a 5v3a or a 9v-2a, or doesn't it matter as long as the power bank supplies 15w, 18w, or 20w?

Thanks for reaching back out to us, @3d-illusions.co.uk! To answer your question, we recommend using the provided Meta charger since it was designed specifically for the Quest 3 headset. The Meta Quest determines the amount of power it needs to draw from the socket. Unfortunately, a power adapter greater than 18w will not result in faster charging times. In order to be clear, we suggest using any of the Quest 3 charging products available, here

Additionally, if you’re looking to boost your playing time and take fewer recharging breaks, the Meta Quest 3 Elite Strap with Battery is available in the Meta Store and at select retailers.

For a more convenient charging experience, the Meta Quest 3 Charging Dock is also available in the Meta Store, which includes rechargeable batteries for your Touch Plus controllers. We hope this has been beneficial and wish you a wonderful day ahead!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Knock, knock! We're here to follow up and see if you have any more question about Quest 3 chargers or if there's anything else we can help you with. If so, please don't hesitate to reach back out to us! Your time is greatly appreciated and we hope you have a great day!

Hi, I was told by one of your colleagues that it will damage the quest battery if it's kept charging for more than 2 hours, particularly whilst the headset is in use.  I had a few follow up questions in that thread, but your colleague isn't responding anymore.  So:

1. Does this mean I shouldn't use the Battery strap?  I understand the battery pack will keep the headset charged for 4 hours during play. 
  2. Also does the same apply to the charging dock, leaving the headset and controllers on it for more than 2 hours will damage the battery?

Hey there, @3d-illusions.co.uk. Great questions! We do encourage users to use the battery strap rather than trying to continue playing on the headsets with an extended third party charging cable. Just like leaving your device on the charger for long periods of time, the charging dock does have the same effect if not able to turn off the charging function.

While, naturally, over time a battery does start to deteriorate, we want to be mindful to slow down this process by using the proper resources to maximize the battery life. Of course, if you have any additional questions, do let us know! 

3d-illusions.co.uk
Adventurer

Couldn't a software update offer the option to stop the battery charging when the headset is in use and connected to a power source?  This would allow users to use the headset directly from the mains without fear of damaging the battery.  I think this needs to be implemented, because the headset was advertised as suitable for commercial work, where it's required to use it for longer periods than the battery/battery pack can provide.

When the option is enabled, charging would only happen when the device is in standby or completely off.

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?