cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another pairing problem with the mobile app

Fahruz
Protege

Just bought a Quest Pro and started setting up the device with the Windows Oculus application as I didn't want to use the phone app. But after completing the setup there I'm asked to pair the headset with the mobile app on a phone. First, why is that necessary when I've got the Windows application and the device is paired via USB?! Why can't I manage everything there?

Ok, so I reluctantly downloaded the Meta Quest app on my phone and logged into my account. Then I get to see my pre-configured headset, but unfortunately the app can't "find"/detect it so I can't go further. I made sure Bluetooth is enabled and "nearby devices" permission granted for the Meta Quest app, but it still can't find the device. Ditto when trying to add a new headset. When I enter the digits I see in the VR view the app says it can't detect a device with that code.

My phone is a Pixel 3 running Android 12. I tried deleting and reinstalling the app, but that didn't change anything.

6 REPLIES 6

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello, Fahruz We're sadden to hear that you're having problems connecting your device to the Phone app. We know how this can take up time, so we're going to help you so we can get you involved.

1. Have you attempted a factory reset yet?

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Factory reset of what? The headset or the phone? The headset is brand new so setup started from factory settings. If you mean the phone, I'm certainly not going to entirely reset my phone for a basic issue with your app (and with no gurantee that it will solve the problem).

Besides, you haven't answered my first question, which is equally important: Why do I need the mobile app to complete setup, when I have the Windows Oculus application that detects my Quest and seems to work well. I don't want to use my phone to manage settings for the headset at all.

Hey there, Fahruz! To answer your question, a mobile app is required to perform the initial setup of the headset. After that, you can manage the settings of the headset in the PC application as well. We have a few things for you to try out and see if we can get your headset connected.

• Uninstall the Meta Quest app from your mobile device.
  • Power off and power on the mobile device.
  • Reboot the headset.
  • Reinstall the Meta Quest app.
  • Attempt to pair the headset again.

Please give these steps a try and let us know if they work for you. We eagerly await your response!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

@MetaQuestSupport wrote:

To answer your question, a mobile app is required to perform the initial setup of the headset. After that, you can manage the settings of the headset in the PC application as well.

You're absolutely NOT answering the question! I asked WHY the mobile app is needed and you're just repeating that the mobile app is required. That's not providing a REASON. From a technical standpoint the Windows Oculus application -or even just the headset itself- should be able to handle the entire setup process and I'm wondering why that's not the case.

As for the issue with the mobile app, I'd already tried the steps you described. I've uninstalled, rebooted both devices multiple times to no avail. Sorry to be blunt, but we're making zero progress here.

Hey there @Fahruz! The headset must be paired to the mobile app in order to proceed through the initial setup. It was developed this way after careful consideration by our engineers. If you need any further assistance with the setup process please let us know. Thanks!

DahlWasHere
Honored Guest

FIX.   I have the FIX.    Let it have Location Access Also.  That's it. We dont want it to have it, and it doesn't say you HAVE to have it on for initial setup of the Oculus 2... but as SOON as I turned it on, as well as Bluetooth Device Connection, it went straight into the app.   GAE

Hope this helps someone.

FYI: Connected using Samsung Galaxy S10 and a 64GB Oculus 2.