cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouTube APK

CGPer
Explorer

Searched the forum / everywhere and haven't found the exact answer I need, so asking here. Let me give some context before the question.

I work for a UK university and our team works specifically with immersive technology. We have over 90 quests 2's and a few quest 3's. The majority of the quest 2's are used internally for teaching and learning, but at least 10 we use externally in the wider community to support primary and secondary education, and community groups in general. To do this we've been managing the headsets through a particular software, through bespoke content and in the case of schools, YouTube content is a big win to contextualise and engage their students learning. 

We've recently moved a third of our headsets over to the Meta for Business managment system, including the 10 headsets for schools etc. The issue here is that when the headsets are managed in the 'shared' profile, which they need to be for data protection reasons, YouTube isnt available to them. We need YouTube's APK to install on these devices.

Does Meta have the YouTube APK for this? Is this even possible at the moment? If not, can anyone suggest any work arounds?

As you can imagine, we don't want to hand out any unmanaged headsets or any that are managed but account information etc., can be visible externally. At the same time, we don;t want to let schools down as we have numerous requests for these, but have had to put it all on pause while we figure out what to do here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks @ShiroTenko and @MetaQuestSupport,

I've put the call out on the dev end and I'm looking through the reddit thread. That's looking at the 2D experience not the VR version, but if it works I doubt I'm the only person looking for a solution to this, I just got assigned a case handler yesterday by Meta for Work, so hopefully once I have a solution I'll post it here. Thanks for your help, it's one of those things that seems like there should be a solution, it's just finding it.

Just seen @kojack's help below. We'll give that a try this week and let you know if it does what we need it to.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @CGPer! It sounds like wonderful things are happening through the way you all are using the Meta devices. To better understand how we can help, when you say "shared profile", do you mean one Meta account shared on multiple devices?

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there @CGPer! Just touching base to see if you saw our last message? Let us know if there is anything we can do for you!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

ShiroTenko
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Hey @CGPer, I just wanted to pop in and recommend using the browser app to login to YouTube and YouTube TV as a temporary solution until you can find the YouTube APK. I also searched up YouTube APK and saw a bunch of posts about it on Reddit, so maybe you can start there? The Developer boards might have someone knowledgeable on this if you try posting over there.

I get a lot of my development info from StackOverflow and Reddit so I thought this might be helpful to you.

“There are only four rules you need to remember: make the plan, execute the plan, expect the plan to go off the rails, throw away the plan.” -Leonard Snart.

Hi, yeah I did see it, but I was stuck in a constant log in loop via mobile browser, so had to wait until I was at my works desktop.

So, under the Meta Quest for Business' management system: https://forwork.meta.com/gb/quest/business-subscription/ you can set individual headsets or groups of them into two types of profiles - individual and shared. Direct quote from Meta's site:

Shared Mode allows Meta Quest devices to be shared by multiple people, while giving admins the ability to decide which apps they're able to use. A session passcode lets users return to their session after a break.

Essentially, we have complete control over the headsets remotely, where shared mode allows us to share headsets with people not in the organisation, or those that do not have a meta account - which individual mode would need but allows our org account details to be seen in this mode. However, even though you can specifically set which apps users have access to in shared mode, you can't just select youtube from the store for example, you have to specifically add the app. We've done this with out our Unreal projects but we can't find a YouTube APK or any other way around this atm. I'll post this onto the board like ShiroTenko's mentioned below, but its possibly better aimed at the Meta Quest for Business team, I was just hoping there was a simple solution on the forum.

Hi @ShiroTenko,

We've tried using the browser but it doesn't 360 wrap. The content that schools use is YT or bespoke 360 content, so I'll give the dev board a go and see what happens. Awesome, thank you! It's one of things where Meta Quest for Business is fairly new and the Meta educational department we had a meeting with is still finding their feet by the sounds of it, so hopefully a YouTube APK will be released soon. You can link to an app like something off Github, so I wonder if I can link to the Android APK for YT on android's store. What do you think? Any experience in this?

Hey there, @CGPer! As @ShiroTenko mentioned, the best avenue for questions like this is on the developer boards. Users there will have more technical experience navigating the back end of headset software and pointing the way to workarounds for things that are not yet officially supported. Hopefully they can help get Youtube up and running on those shared headsets!

ShiroTenko
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Nothing comes to mind for GitHub, and I don't know if the APK on the android store will work, but it doesn't hurt to try. Since the OS is based on Android 12.1 I believe (it was Android 10 originally), probably worth a try to see what happens. 
I also found on this page that they mention a third party version. 

“There are only four rules you need to remember: make the plan, execute the plan, expect the plan to go off the rails, throw away the plan.” -Leonard Snart.

kojack
MVP
MVP

If you have a Quest running normally that has the Quest Youtube VR app, you can extract the apk from it.

This requires your Quest to be in developer mode and that you have the ADB tool on your system (if you are doing custom Unreal apps, then you probably do).

The name of the youtube app is com.google.android.apps.youtube.vr.oculus

In a command window type in:

adb shell pm path com.google.android.apps.youtube.vr.oculus

That will tell you the location that youtube was installed on the Quest. Copy that path.

Now type in this:

adb pull path .

But replace the word path with the path you copied from the previous command. On my system it looks like this:

adb pull /data/app/~~EqfJAzN6fWIpa1QznBiTUw==/com.google.android.apps.youtube.vr.oculus-edFqaLu4uCchZhIXlNM3Pg==/base.apk .

You should now have a file called base.apk. That's youtube.

I just tested on my Quests. I extracted the Youtube apk from my Quest 3 then installed it manually (using adb install base.apk) on my Quest 2 and it worked. Although my Quest 2 had youtube previously, I just uninstalled it.

I don't have a business headset, so can't test that.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Thanks @ShiroTenko and @MetaQuestSupport,

I've put the call out on the dev end and I'm looking through the reddit thread. That's looking at the 2D experience not the VR version, but if it works I doubt I'm the only person looking for a solution to this, I just got assigned a case handler yesterday by Meta for Work, so hopefully once I have a solution I'll post it here. Thanks for your help, it's one of those things that seems like there should be a solution, it's just finding it.

Just seen @kojack's help below. We'll give that a try this week and let you know if it does what we need it to.

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?