cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can u make GeForce MX230 support oculus link? pls

alifaran004
Protege
i buy the wire for oculus link my laptop is compatable with oculus link exept my GPU so plz make it support
25 REPLIES 25

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

😞 but it runs a lot of games

What games can you play using Oculus Link?

Note playing games without Oculus Link is not the same as playing with Oculus Link. Without Link, you use the build-in Quest gpu, but using Link you rely on the gpu in your laptop. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

alifaran004
Protege
RuneSR2  it wont work oculus app

i only want this gpu support for play my dream games

i cant do vr if the gpu support

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2  it wont work oculus app

i only want this gpu support for play my dream games

i cant do vr if the gpu support

Ok, so Quest works fine without the Link cable, and you cannot use the Oculus Link cable. Note, you will never be able to use a laptop with a GeForce MX230 gpu for VR. 

To use Oculus Link you need a PC with the necessary system components as described here:

https://support.oculus.com/444256562873335/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

alifaran004
Protege
my laptop is way higher then recommand but gpu is downgrade

but gpu cant be that bad right?

konuia
Protege

If you look at some benchmarks for a MX230 its obivous that it will be impossible to run any game at 1080p

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the problem is just understanding why VR is a bit more demanding than normal flat screen games. While your GPU is powerful enough to play most games you might like right now, VR requires 1.5x more performance because it has to render the game 2x one for each eye. Granted, some games will require more performance over others - it still holds you will want at least a 1060 or better GPU for VR even with Link. Only because, the devs are going to also think you have that card or better as well, so keeping in the require specs goes a long way in terms of not fighting issues in the future and a better experience for you.

Future headsets might get around this limit once we have a better understanding and deployment rate of Eye Tracking and DFOVA. On the other hand, by then, new laptops and GPUs will be out... 

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
Its worth mentioning that Oculus Link worked ok with the 1050Ti.  Ok is a subjective word, some games performed better than others, but it did work.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Umpa_PC said:

Its worth mentioning that Oculus Link worked ok with the 1050Ti.  Ok is a subjective word, some games performed better than others, but it did work.

The 1050 Ti is a mountain a raw super-power energy compared to MX230, lol

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GeForce-MX230/3649vsm746237

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

RuneSR2 said:

Umpa_PC said:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GeForce-MX230/3649vsm746237

Yes I know - I was replying to Mradr without quoting him.
Specifically to the statement "it still holds you will want at least a 1060 or better GPU for VR even with Link"
Whilst that may well be true, it does work with the 1050Ti.  I agree that the MX230 will not work, and will probably never work.  Well not in this simulation - lol.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Umpa_PC said:

RuneSR2 said:

Umpa_PC said:

Yes I know - I was replying to Mradr without quoting him.
Specifically to the statement "it still holds you will want at least a 1060 or better GPU for VR even with Link"
Whilst that may well be true, it does work with the 1050Ti.  I agree that the MX230 will not work, and will probably never work.  Well not in this simulation - lol.

"Granted, some games will require more performance over others" - its not that the 1050TI can't do it - its how the software was program to keep maybe a bit below required specs to keep/maintain its frame rate. There is no perfect spec and benchmark that can be perform because hardware and software will very in what it needs. This is common knowledge or at least I hope it is. Short of that - this is why recommended is created - thus while the 1050TI might work - its not going to work across the board and thus not really recommended to say it should.

This is why consoles were a big hit... didn't have to mess with details like this - either it work well for everyone on that platform or it didn't. With PCs we have the ability to scale thus to say to it should work for everyone usually means someone having an issue because they tried it out of spec or with a weird environment to see if it would work for them.