cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

controllers are disconnecting when moving fast

SleepingDino2
Honored Guest

Why do my controllers keep disconnecting when they go to fast. 

7 REPLIES 7

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @SleepingDino2. Thanks so much for reaching out and bringing your controller question to our attention. We can understand how this would be a bit troubling when you're playing and all of a sudden something like this happens. Not to worry; we will do our best to help. So we can get to the root of why this is happening, could you please answer these questions for us?

Do your controllers unpair while playing, or are they not tracking?

Do you get an error when this happens? If so, please send us a copy.

When did this first start happening?

Does this happen with all games, or is it just one specific game?

Once we are able to get a little more insight, we can better assist you. We are happy to help.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

kojack
MVP
MVP

If the battery negative terminal spring isn't strong enough, very fast movement can make the battery push towards the spring, making it temporarily disconnect at the positive terminal.

Some people have fixed it by doing things like placing some folded aluminium foil at the positive terminal to give a better connection.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

they connect but unpair when moving to fast. when that happens i get a notification it has happened but when i rteconect it the notification stays on the screen forever. its anying. this started happening a long time ago. and this happens evertywhere.

i dont know if i would do it correctly and ill probably break it more with this.

Hey there, @SleepingDino2. We can definitely understand being hesitant, if you'd like to try it out then feel free. If not, we can look into some other possible solutions. We'll be looking forward to hearing back from you! 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

kojack
MVP
MVP

Here's a video about it from 3 years ago (it's been an issue for a while).

As he says, the battery sprint should have been placed at the opposite end, that would have fixed it. But all Touch controllers do it the same. (Except for Quest Pro, it's controllers don't have AA batteries)

Or they could do it like the HP Reverb G2. I really dislike the G2 controllers (much worse than Meta ones), but the battery compartment has a spring at each end so it should never lose contact while moving.

There's also some slight variation in battery size. My Jugee lithium ion AA and Aldi Nimh AA are around 0.1mm shorter than my Eneloop AA. That's probably not enough to matter, but maybe trying a different brand of battery will help.

Weight might affect it too. Checking mine: Eneloop Pro = 20g, Aldi = 17g, Jugee = 13g. A heavier battery will have more force to compress the spring when swung.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

is there like another option instead of adding alluminium into the controler. im just to scared it might brake the battery slot and just break the entire quest 2 controller