cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does the 1050 ti meet the minimum requirments? (desktop 4gb)

FairBoi
Explorer

ive been looking for a straight foward awnser for a long time, and i will be greatful if somone awnsered this in the form of yes or no, will oculus show me the "gpu dosent meet minimum requirments" banner if i have a 1050 ti?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

iMight404
Retired Support

In theory, yes it should work. Though it won't be as smooth of an experience as if you were playing on a better card. You may need to do some digging and MacGyver some things to get it working and get a smooth experience but then again maybe you wont. The thing with the lower tiered cards is people can hack together some form of a magic bullet whether it be through overclocking, editing files, etc, whereas some people will have it work right out of the box.

TLDR; At the very least it should, though it may or may not require some tinkering to get good performance. Experiences will always vary from person to person on lower end cards.

Take your destiny into your own hands. Sand cannot keep a shape by itself, but add water and it becomes malleable. Fate can be such, if you add the right element.

View solution in original post

thank you for the help, it runs okay for a low end card i bought for 90 bucks, i just found out its minimum required card, i didnt expect it to run well, and it dosent run the best but im suprised by how well it runs for a cheap card, thanks for the help
(here is a pic of minimum required card)

FairBoi_0-1652983138430.png

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

PITTCANNA
Visionary

Straight forward answer is no, it doesn't meet link requirements.  It is not on the list of supported gpus and it hasn't been validated to support link.  So you don't go and buy 80 dollar cable i would not waste your money.

Grey answer, download the app and attempt airlink.  Airlink will work as well as wired link if your a 5ghz router, if your computer is up to part.  If you get the blue banner then its not worth going any further.

Alternative solution if you really want to do pcvr, get virtual desktop for the quest and run steam games.  Some games will work some won't.

iMight404
Retired Support

In theory, yes it should work. Though it won't be as smooth of an experience as if you were playing on a better card. You may need to do some digging and MacGyver some things to get it working and get a smooth experience but then again maybe you wont. The thing with the lower tiered cards is people can hack together some form of a magic bullet whether it be through overclocking, editing files, etc, whereas some people will have it work right out of the box.

TLDR; At the very least it should, though it may or may not require some tinkering to get good performance. Experiences will always vary from person to person on lower end cards.

Take your destiny into your own hands. Sand cannot keep a shape by itself, but add water and it becomes malleable. Fate can be such, if you add the right element.

@iMight404 wrote:

Wrong complete nonsense.  I can't believe you are oculus support.  The 1050ti has a history of being hit or miss for link.  The card is not in the official list.  There is no mcgyvering with the oculus app.  The 3050ti isn't even supported so how in the heck a 1050ti can even function is mind baffling.  I wish i could give you a down vote.  Because if someone spends 30-80 usd and it won't work they will be very mad that OFFICIAL OCULUS SUPPORT SAID YES.

Capture.JPG

Thanks for your input, just wanna add some notations here.

As we have both said, just in different terminology, the card is a hit or miss and will vary from person to person. It's not officially on the list sure, but that doesn't automatically rule out all of the other people who have documented some level of success using the card. Like I said, it wont be as smooth of an experience as if you were using a higher level card and I don't recommend using it, but that isn't to say there isn't a way it could work. There's an equal level of posts on reddit documenting success as there are people documenting it doesn't work. It's all trial and error.

I also wanna add that they don't necessarily need to purchase a super expensive cable for testing purposes, as there are other alternatives like Anker's usb c cable. I believe the cost of a new GPU, especially in today's market heavily outweighs the cost of a standard usb c cable. And as always, if it ends up not working, you could just process a return if you bought it through a big box store or through somewhere like amazon.

Keep in mind, this is just my personal opinion, not an official one in any sense. Not trying to argue, just trying to explain my reasoning and though process behind my previous post.

Lastly, lets try to keep the forums friendly. No reason we can't have a civil conversation without resorting to crude behavior.

@iMight404 wrote:

Thanks for your input, just wanna add some notations here.

As we have both said, just in different terminology, the card is a hit or miss and will vary from person to person. It's not officially on the list sure, but that doesn't automatically rule out all of the other people who have documented some level of success using the card. Like I said, it wont be as smooth of an experience as if you were using a higher level card and I don't recommend using it, but that isn't to say there isn't a way it could work. There's an equal level of posts on reddit documenting success as there are people documenting it doesn't work. It's all trial and error.

I also wanna add that they don't necessarily need to purchase a super expensive cable for testing purposes, as there are other alternatives like Anker's usb c cable. I believe the cost of a new GPU, especially in today's market heavily outweighs the cost of a standard usb c cable. And as always, if it ends up not working, you could just process a return if you bought it through a big box store or through somewhere like amazon.

Keep in mind, this is just my personal opinion, not an official one in any sense. Not trying to argue, just trying to explain my reasoning and though process behind my previous post.

Lastly, lets try to keep the forums friendly. No reason we can't have a civil conversation without resorting to crude behavior.

Your just out of your mind, the op want a straight forward answer.  What you gave him was a word salad equivalent of "yes but don't expect it to work" you want to know why there are literally 100's if not 1000's of post that trash oculus support its because of mis-information you provide.

IF CARD IS NOT ON THE OFFICIAL LIST WITH A HISTORY OF HIT OR MISS DON'T SAY "YES WITH MCGYVERING" UNLESS YOUR GOING TO REFUND THE LINK CABLE COST.

I have like 5 test rigs at home and the 1050 ti is a no-go.

Personal opinion should be left out of factual support form official oculus support posters like your self.  Even if a user spent like 20 usd on a cheap 3.1 type c cable to try, They can't take that cable back to store, and you will most likely cause hours of frustration when a users goes and ATTEMPTS MCGYVERING, 

It is personal when you give out your own opinion being completely contradictory to the oculus official site.

Bendit74
MVP
MVP

I agree with Pittcanna. Support should know that video card compatibility is not just related to rendering power, but the internal encoding "codec" needed for Link to stream properly. Older cards, even though capable of rendering scenes in a game, do not have that technology built-in. Don't offer opinions please. You were about to waste that poor guy's time and money. I've been there, when I was trying to find a cheaper card to run Link with.

Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM - nVidia GTX 1070 Amp Edition 8GB GDDR5. Link Cable.

@Bendit74 wrote:

I agree with Pittcanna. Support should know that video card compatibility is not just related to rendering power, but the internal encoding "codec" needed for Link to stream properly. Older cards, even though capable of rendering scenes in a game, do not have that technology built-in. Don't offer opinions please. You were about to waste that poor guy's time and money. I've been there, when I was trying to find a cheaper card to run Link with.

I really can't stand oculus support and mods here.  They offer nothing but bad information or the AI bot generated variety which gets the whole context wrong.

A whole lot of wrong with imight04 (key takeaways)

• Look on reddit
  • contradict official oculus publication
  • mcgyver it
  • overclock
  • spend money on cheap 3.1 cable then return when it doesn't work
  • give personal opinion with an "official oculus support badge"
  • then trys to play nice when called out

Throwing some additional facts out there.

a user in another thread asked how to bypass the blue banner of shame

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Oculus-Quest-2-and-Quest/How-to-bypass-Q2-GPU-requirement/m-p/962669#...

his card is a 960

which in average scores 8% higher then the 1050ti

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-960-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/3165vs3649

So @iMight404 are you going to tell him how to hack or mcgyver to get rid of blue banner of shame.