cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installed openxr, cant switch back to oculus runtime, button disabled

Vamphare
Honored Guest

oculus app has a bug, a few months ago i could able to change the runtime back just clicking "set as default" button.

now that notification is not shown at the top, and "set oculus as active runtime" button is disabled.

openxr is active runtime and i cant change it back since the button is disabled.

i can not understand how this bug can pass through test as an enterprise developer myself for 20+ years.

this is probably not tested at all.

is there another way to switch it back, i already uninstalled openxr toolkit but seems runtime is installed on oculus did not uninstalled.

if you tell us what that button triggers, we can manually change it. shouldnt be that hard. probably changes a registry value and maybe some json/xml/ini whatever u use.

3 REPLIES 3

Vamphare
Honored Guest

figured a workaround for this. NOT A SOLUTION just a silly workaround so meta u really need to solve this issue.

uninstall the oculus application.

go into C:\Users\YOURUSERHERE\AppData

and search for oculus related directories in sub directories and delete them.

go into program files and x86 make sure there isnt any leftover oculus directories. if so delete them

go into ur windows dir. and search for C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and system32 

look for *OVR* or *OCU* if they look like they are related to oculus, delete them.

go into registry, find Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR

rename it to BCKOpenXR or delete it, dontworry oculus app will recreate it.

then install oculus again. there u go, button is enabled again.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Vamphare  Sorry mate but I have never seen this problem with my Q2/rtx3090 with Link or Air Link.  When I've selected Oculus openxr it always seems to take this fine.  When I go into SteamVR and look at the developer settings menu it shows that it is using Oculus openxr fine.

I run a dual VR headset setup with a Vive Pro and when I startup SteamVR with this I get a message that I'm using Oculus openxr and it asks me if I want to change this to Steam openvr.  I usually do this and it does this fine, and reports it correctly in the SteamVR settings menu.

When I exit SteamVR with my Vive Pro and go back to to my Q2 with Link or Air Link and go to the Oculus desktop app settings/general tab it tells me I'm currently using Steam openvr and I just click the button to make Oculus openxr default.  I've never had any problems with all this and only seen this button greyed out when I'm already using Oculus openxr.

So, not sure why this is happening to you.  I guess it's because you've installed some other version of openxr.  I'm not sure why you'd want to do this but maybe you have a good reason for doing this?  Maybe try uninstalling your alternative version of openxr and see if this helps and/or if you can see any reason(s) why your need this in the first place.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Hey hey! We understand how this can put a damper on your gameplay, so if you could please uninstall OpenXR if you haven't already, but if you're using it for developer purposes, please go ahead and hit us up over on our developer forums, which we'll link to here: https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Oculus-Developer/ct-p/developer-introduction 

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!