cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oculus quest god rays

After two weeks of using my new headset suddenly im seeing a lot of godrays and light smear  on pretty much every highlight (apps/games)  is that normal ?
i am pretty much sure it was not that bad at beginning  (sorry for my english i'm not a native english speaker)
5 REPLIES 5

Revo68
Honored Guest
I have the exact same issue, have had it for 2 weeks now and this evening bam, GOD rays outta knowhere! I am not happy

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
its normal.  You will find chromatic aberration (god rays) are more visible if the headset is not correctly aligned on your face.  For me I have to lift the headset up to get the lense in the centre of my eye.  Also clean the lenses with a lense cloth.

I also had to install a 3rd party settings app, to lower the brightness.  I still don't understand why this is not a standard setting.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

Umpa_PC said:

I also had to install a 3rd party settings app, to lower the brightness.  I still don't understand why this is not a standard setting.

Yeah I totally agree, easy to access settings to adjust the screen should be included in an update, preferably on a per-game basis but that may be too much of an ask if Oculus want to keep things as simple as possible but an 'overall' settings would be good enough. A contrast setting for me would make sense too, to go with the brightness.

The lenses in the Quest (and Rift-S) are much better than CV1 for god-rays but the Quest's OLED really punches up the contrast ratio and brightness, which goes a long way to bringing slightly different looking rays back again in some high-contrast scenes.

If anyone who has SideQuest installed, the screen brightness setting can be accessed by going into Library, Unknown Sources, SideQuest-Home, Apps, Settings, then scroll down to Display.

There's a small 'app' that installs a shortcut to these settings within OculusTV which makes those settings a bit quicker to access but you still need SideQuest to install that shortcut.

KarstenS80
Adventurer

Umpa_PC said:

chromatic aberration (god rays)

Chromatic aberrations and godrays are 2 completely different things. 

Chromatic abberations (color bleeding):

Godrays (light bleeding):

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
I did not know that - thanks for the info.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.