cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"VR_Init failed" message when trying to start SteamVR on 0.7

jdoyle20
Honored Guest
So for about 5 weeks my computer was dead until I got a new mobo and power supply. Upon getting it up and running and back to normal I decided to upgrade to Windows 10, upgrade my Oculus runtime and SDK to 0.7, and upgrade the appropriate graphics drivers. My current NVidia driver is 355.98 and my graphics cards is a GTX 660. When I tried starting up SteamVR it would only show on my main monitor and although a blue light would come on for the camera, the HMD would keep the amber light and not show anything.

To correct this I attempted to uninstall both Steam itself, and my Oculus runtime/SDK and do a fresh install on both. Here are the issues I'm getting...

If I run SteamVR in the "NONE- Opt out of all beta programs" mode, it starts up and displays on my main monitor, but not on the Oculus. Also, while the HMD and Base have green check marks, the System has a red exclamation mark and says "Compositor is not running". Clicking "Try to start the compositor" does nothing.

The other option I've tried is running SteamVR in "beta - SteamVR Beta Update" mode and the results are even worse. When in this mode it closes Steam entirely and displays a message that says "VR_Init failed with Unable to initialize necessary OpenVR interfaces". Also the status report tells me "No Compositor available. Connect to VR Server failed (301) No simple fix available."

If this is an issue for everyone then fine, I'll just wait until it gets fixed but if not, do you guys have any idea what I might be doing wrong? It mentions OpenVR, but my Steam folder does not have an OpenVR folder on this fresh install. Beyond installing the Oculus 0.7 runtime and the 0.7 SDK is there anything else that I missed? Do both of those need to be install on the same drive? Any help would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
having the same issue, but i have no solution. This problem appears to be fairly new though. Wondering if you may have solved it?

RaveScotts
Honored Guest
Same here, was the same with 0.7 then and still the stame with 0.8 now. I'm on windows 8.1, latest amd drivers as of date for my hd 6850 graphics card. Any finds, anyone?

Dark_Fread
Explorer
I also ran into this issue when I tried to setup SteamVR. I tried an awful amount of tricks but none of them worked.
I strongly hope Valve isn't dropping the Rift support since they now have their own HMD to promote.

From what I read here and there however, this problem does not seem to happen to everybody.
OR DKII - Win7 64 - Phenom X4 965 - Radeon R9 380 2Go (15.7 driver) - RT v7.0