cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should i get a new headset (rift S problems)

Captain_Caveman
Honored Guest
first my setup

600w new good quality PSU
16gb high speed ram
radion 580 8gb sapphire nitro plus (advertised vr ready)
i5 3.5ghz cpu
also i confirm that the rift is in a 3.0 port
new rift s 2 days old

these are the problems i have had

i thought the image quality to be lower than when i borrowed a cv1 oculus and ran it on a 1050.

lots of jagged edges like anti aliasing was somehow in reverse

video feed cutout if the cable if disturbed, like when i duck or move suddenly,  (mostly fixed using cable management) i also sometimes get snow briefly over the image

the display would sometimes turn off and i would have to take off and put back on the headset. sometimes i had to restart.

on day 2 the cameras wouldn't work, upon a re-calibration all i could see was static, after many resets, it finally works again but is unusable, the tracking is jittery, and sometimes loses connection.also long load times for some reason.

at the moment when it does work, i find the room and things floating on my hud unstable and like to jump around a little only by a few mm, but enough to make a normal person feel ill i thing (im very resistant to movement)

and lastly the microphone would randomly turn off

so far i have spent around 7-8 hours messing with drivers, and searching for solutions. even things like changeing the usb power settings and turning the rgb lights off on my pc (some with the white snow found that worked)
odly enough during the time the headset display wouldn't work, the microphone and speakers worked just fine

i can confirm, the gpu is working fine as i can play many games on epic, and it all looks great

my last resort is a full re-install

anyhow after all that, do you guys think i should return the headset or am i just having teething problems?

im also open to trying any new solutions

4 REPLIES 4

DavyJonesLkr
Explorer
We've been teetering on doing the same thing, just returning/exchanging.  I've seen a couple posts where people have exchanged for a new device and they still have the same problems.  My wife suggested I go buy a new computer, lol.  Even though the one we have is a pretty nice one and only a year old and fully updated.  Still semi-patiently waiting here for a firmware update or something else as I know this is just something us PC peeps deal with on a new roll out.

Captain_Caveman
Honored Guest
aparrently windows 10 fast boot can sometimes cause issues so i am going to try that next. i know many others are having cable problems, but for the most part all i see is people saying how awesome it is. i finally posted here as i couldnt find any good leads on google.

so are others having low image quality and jagged edges?

kojack
MVP
MVP

aparrently windows 10 fast boot can sometimes cause issues

I don't know about it in relation to VR, but fast boot is a horrible feature that has a high chance of wiping files from your PC if you dual boot to another OS. I've had to salvage my hard drives several times to get back data lost when dual booting, I googled and found that fast boot is the culprit. Turned it off and no more problems.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Captain_Caveman
Honored Guest
ok, practically all of my issues were solved by disabling fast-boot and the rgb lighting on my card. thanks for everyone's attention
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?