cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v46 frame drops/stutters/headroom dips

NumbrOneDad
Protege

Edit: For anyone stopping by looking for a solution, there isn't going to be one. This issue is falling on deaf ears by meta staff. The issues described exist both in standalone and pcvr link/airlink. It seems to be widespread, possibly most or all quest 2 devices, yet it's been relayed that it's only a small subset of users experiencing the issue... sure. That's definitely why we can totally troubleshoot and fix it /s

The only remedy is going to be through an update issued by meta. I/You/We have done all the troubleshooting and bug hunting possible, all signs point to them. Good luck everyone!

Frame drops, reprojection (even with ASW set to Off), stuttering, performance degradation, and gpu headroom dipping to 0 or even negative has been since v44, and now v46 as well. I have come across this issue in many different posts here in the meta forums, elsewhere as well, and no one has come to any conclusions other than this HAS to be an issue with oculus software itself. Witnessing OVR errors and socket errors amongst others in the console logs and no previous fix is capable of providing any remedy to the current issue. I have tried all previous working drivers from nvidia, uninstalling with DDU and reinstalling old to new. No change. HAGS set to off, clean installed oculus based off of official support techniques (safe mode and manual folder deletion), toggled and focused console window, set high priority on ovrserverx64 and game running, disabled link sharpening, disabled mobile ASW, reset all graphic settings to default, set vsync to off in nvidia control panel, reset nvidia control panel, nothing. These issues stem directly from the oculus software and there's no chance of user error. For those hoping to chime in about windows update breaking the software, that is also untrue. I have now tried windows 10 on updates 20h1, 20h2, 21h1, 21h2, and 22h2 and this issue is present across all of them. I also tried on windows 11 builds 21h2 and 22h2 and the same issue persists. We desperately need a community update from @Ryanality as i know im not the first to raise this issue. I wish i could say it was just user error, machine setup etc. There are multiple internal errors displayed in the console window and i've submitted these logs with the support team as have the others experiencing this issue. It would be great if we could PLEASE get a public update regarding this issue. I have been troubleshooting this for several weeks straight.. i'm going absolutely mad. PLEASE HELP US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Basic troubleshooting, clean installs, NONE OF IT WORKS! 2 years of using this headset and software...and this is the worst its been by far! 😧

268 REPLIES 268

So there defenetely some changes, not just placebo. Do you have ocasional reprojection for few rames, on it's smooth as i can be?

def not placebo, it is smooth as it was pre V46. There are occasional micro-stutters (as there always were) but no FPS drops that result in reprojection.

MSI Z690 A DDR4 - i7 12700KF - Gainward RTX 3080 Phantom GS - 32GB DDR4 3600MHz

Would like to hear more people report, but as for now...

Fixed with V47.1 Update for some people

What version number do you all see in the Oculus desktop app? I got the notification for the v47.1 update, it appears to have been installed,  but my version string still appears to be v47.0 in settings.

This should be a visual bug, I checked, for me it's showing as 47.0.0.286.341

I'll have to check if this matches mine later. I was still seeing microstutters, also reflected in the encoder frame rate graph, after this update - and they seemed more noticeable after using for a few minutes.

I haven't checked the logs because I got bored with all those troubleshootings and I have better things to do in my free time. The encoder drops are the same. The version before was better for me, but at this point after 2 months it could be placebo.

I really hope Meta will fix this soon. Not all framedrops are noticeable in the headset, but the tracking is still weird sometimes. v46 was way worse for me though, sometimes it was unplayable.

Yeah, this update actually tracing s wierd, I agree, but as for frame drops, i have not seen excoder frame drops in logs at least, but yeah in gameplay it still drops frames

No fix for me. Acts the same as before. 120Hz is also a total mess. The framerate line on Link Details is all over the place.

Unchecked post as solution. Also tech support after this update said that now it's working as it should, even then i insisted that there still frames being dropped