cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v46 frame drops/stutters/headroom dips

NumbrOneDad
Protege

Edit: For anyone stopping by looking for a solution, there isn't going to be one. This issue is falling on deaf ears by meta staff. The issues described exist both in standalone and pcvr link/airlink. It seems to be widespread, possibly most or all quest 2 devices, yet it's been relayed that it's only a small subset of users experiencing the issue... sure. That's definitely why we can totally troubleshoot and fix it /s

The only remedy is going to be through an update issued by meta. I/You/We have done all the troubleshooting and bug hunting possible, all signs point to them. Good luck everyone!

Frame drops, reprojection (even with ASW set to Off), stuttering, performance degradation, and gpu headroom dipping to 0 or even negative has been since v44, and now v46 as well. I have come across this issue in many different posts here in the meta forums, elsewhere as well, and no one has come to any conclusions other than this HAS to be an issue with oculus software itself. Witnessing OVR errors and socket errors amongst others in the console logs and no previous fix is capable of providing any remedy to the current issue. I have tried all previous working drivers from nvidia, uninstalling with DDU and reinstalling old to new. No change. HAGS set to off, clean installed oculus based off of official support techniques (safe mode and manual folder deletion), toggled and focused console window, set high priority on ovrserverx64 and game running, disabled link sharpening, disabled mobile ASW, reset all graphic settings to default, set vsync to off in nvidia control panel, reset nvidia control panel, nothing. These issues stem directly from the oculus software and there's no chance of user error. For those hoping to chime in about windows update breaking the software, that is also untrue. I have now tried windows 10 on updates 20h1, 20h2, 21h1, 21h2, and 22h2 and this issue is present across all of them. I also tried on windows 11 builds 21h2 and 22h2 and the same issue persists. We desperately need a community update from @Ryanality as i know im not the first to raise this issue. I wish i could say it was just user error, machine setup etc. There are multiple internal errors displayed in the console window and i've submitted these logs with the support team as have the others experiencing this issue. It would be great if we could PLEASE get a public update regarding this issue. I have been troubleshooting this for several weeks straight.. i'm going absolutely mad. PLEASE HELP US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Basic troubleshooting, clean installs, NONE OF IT WORKS! 2 years of using this headset and software...and this is the worst its been by far! 😧

268 REPLIES 268

Unchecked post as solution, i'm miself still have frame drops, but there is no encoder errors inlogs anymore, so there might be something else causing it

Classic support **bleep**show. They told me the dropped frames counter was some other software. They don't even know their own debug tool.

azmodey
Protege

Hello does this mean we should swap to AMD GPU ?

It seems only nvidia encoder is in trouble.

TeeNeeRopd
Explorer

The update did not help, everything is still, obviously. I don't know when oculuses will fix this. Oculus - you're the worst thing I've ever met.

The update did not help, everything is still, obviously. I don't know when oculuses will fix this. Oculus - you're the worst thing I've ever met.

BlitzTDM
Honored Guest

My Similarities:

I have the same issue with Quest 2 PCVR with Official Link Cable (On the Oculus PCVR App Beat Saber for DLC Sync/Not SteamVR), Unkown Start (I Forgor)

Summary:

• GPU Swap Temporary fixed it until a Shutdown -> Start (Not the actual restart)

• Weird few days when it worked to then come back

• It's Weird since updating/reinstalling Drivers doesn't recreate the fix

• Not tested again (just once on the first GPU swap)

• the problem is gone (12/24/22) after RESTART from >5 day PC left on, but slowly comes back and gets worse

• Currently found MY fix (temp/perm) -> Restart or Shutdown PC by Clicking 'Restart' or Shift+Click 'Shutdown' in the start menu. Try to run Beat Saber close to post-startup (should work and eventually stutter again and the process can be repeated hence the perm/temp)

Explanation:

One of the weirdest "Temp Fix" is swapping the GPU, I had a 1070 and the issue started a while before that time. I swapped it out with a 3060ti, uninstalled the old, and installed new drivers and all, to come back to smooth. After the PC was shut down to startup, the problem came back. Eventually, at a single driver update that a beat saber update followed afterward, (coincidently since I updated both the same day when releases were separate days) the problem was fixed for a few days, maybe weeks (Don't remember). Once that period was over, I waited, with small brief tries on fixing. After around 2 driver updates and some beat saber updates afterward, I went through 20-30 forums (including this one and Reddit) and so much of my own testing. I think I spent 1 hour a day and 3 hours on some for a week trying to fix it. Now today (12/24/22), everything is working (with mods), after a actual restart of my PC, after being left on for >5 days straight which DID have the problem, not sure, but another lucky working time is here! Until I started to play more, then it started to show up, very breifly/unnoticablely, to then slowly become to a point where it's noticeable, yet not gameplay-impacting, and slowly towards a state where it messes me up quite a bit. *UPDATE* So I've been doing some testing, and I found a kinda perm/kinda temp fix, it is weird for no reason, but if you RESTART your PC or Shift + Shutdown. Once at startup, run Beat Saber normal as one of the first things you do when your PC starts, and once you get in VR, it should be smooth for a while, then it slowly shows stuttering again, and you just repeat.

(Post Present/Updated on 1/1/23), Happy New Year/post New Year to those that read this during posting time!

At this point support again went for "Your bad" aproach, so guess it is time for new tests. Also there is new update comming and it will increase max CPU frequency in headset, so that might be fix, rough one, but that could actually improve performance further as last update should've improved it for most people. Doubt i'll retest soon, most likely i'll test it after holidays. as i'm not spending much time anymore shouting and begging Meta to research and testing global problems for them.

(I have the same frame drop issue. Who doesn't? I was not able to isolate it.)

Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM - nVidia GTX 1070 Amp Edition 8GB GDDR5. Link Cable.

Two guys in v47 release thread don't have this problem and furryously tell everyone that no one have this framedrops

They might be Meta employees, who knows? hahaha
I took the time to record two videos showing my issue (already sent logs and the videos to Meta support even knowing it might mean nothing), one video is showing my test through Airlink with High and Low bitrate and the other through Cable Link. You can notice that when I lower my bitrate through Airlink I get less jitter/stutter, however in Cable Link the problem persists since I can't lower the bitrate without forcing it through Oculus Debug Tool.

Airlink video testing High and Low Bitrates:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfzKhRo7jUE

Cable Link video testing default Bitrate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaLa7K8c5IU

Remember: I tried everything you can think of, everything meta support requested me too.
I can only enjoy games through Airlink by playing with low bitrate and accepting the compression it comes with it. That's the only way I get rid of 'most' of these jitters/stutters, even then it happens sometimes, it's kinda sad tbh.