cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v46 frame drops/stutters/headroom dips

NumbrOneDad
Protege

Edit: For anyone stopping by looking for a solution, there isn't going to be one. This issue is falling on deaf ears by meta staff. The issues described exist both in standalone and pcvr link/airlink. It seems to be widespread, possibly most or all quest 2 devices, yet it's been relayed that it's only a small subset of users experiencing the issue... sure. That's definitely why we can totally troubleshoot and fix it /s

The only remedy is going to be through an update issued by meta. I/You/We have done all the troubleshooting and bug hunting possible, all signs point to them. Good luck everyone!

Frame drops, reprojection (even with ASW set to Off), stuttering, performance degradation, and gpu headroom dipping to 0 or even negative has been since v44, and now v46 as well. I have come across this issue in many different posts here in the meta forums, elsewhere as well, and no one has come to any conclusions other than this HAS to be an issue with oculus software itself. Witnessing OVR errors and socket errors amongst others in the console logs and no previous fix is capable of providing any remedy to the current issue. I have tried all previous working drivers from nvidia, uninstalling with DDU and reinstalling old to new. No change. HAGS set to off, clean installed oculus based off of official support techniques (safe mode and manual folder deletion), toggled and focused console window, set high priority on ovrserverx64 and game running, disabled link sharpening, disabled mobile ASW, reset all graphic settings to default, set vsync to off in nvidia control panel, reset nvidia control panel, nothing. These issues stem directly from the oculus software and there's no chance of user error. For those hoping to chime in about windows update breaking the software, that is also untrue. I have now tried windows 10 on updates 20h1, 20h2, 21h1, 21h2, and 22h2 and this issue is present across all of them. I also tried on windows 11 builds 21h2 and 22h2 and the same issue persists. We desperately need a community update from @Ryanality as i know im not the first to raise this issue. I wish i could say it was just user error, machine setup etc. There are multiple internal errors displayed in the console window and i've submitted these logs with the support team as have the others experiencing this issue. It would be great if we could PLEASE get a public update regarding this issue. I have been troubleshooting this for several weeks straight.. i'm going absolutely mad. PLEASE HELP US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Basic troubleshooting, clean installs, NONE OF IT WORKS! 2 years of using this headset and software...and this is the worst its been by far! 😧

268 REPLIES 268

bronney
Explorer

Tested v49 PTC, exact same appl frame drop issue, same behaviour.  Rift S, when it drops, the headroom drops at same time as the 80Hz goes to 77.5Hz and the appl frame drop count goes up a few.

Update: after being unable to load PCVR anymore nor with airlink nor with PCLink, i decided to completely uninstall Oculus Desktop, reboot computer, reinstall Oculus Desktop, reboot computer again (just to avoid any potential issues).

Now PCLink and AirLink are working again.

I use PCVR mainly to play Assetto Corsa. I'm using Content Manager to launch the game, so i'm able to quickly switch between OpenVR / OculusVR rendering engine whenever i join an online session, so I did some tests between the two rendering engines. The situation now is the following:

OculusRift native rendering is a stutter nightmare. Absolutely unplayable, stutter almost constantly due to encoder skipping frames, and the longer you play, the worsen it gets, to the point that you have to abandon the race and exit because of getting to the point where most of the frames are skipped and only few are rendered.

OpenVR: a LOT better. On the same machine I'm able to play almost smoothly as before the stutter problems raised with Oculus Update (before the update that screwed everyting I was able to play smoothly without any issue with Oculus Rendering Engine on the very same machine). Just some occasional stutter here and there, but I finally can be able to play again and having a good experience. The only problem with using OpenVR is that the rendering quality is a bit worse compared to Oculus' native rendering engine (I don't know how to explain it, but Oculus Rendering Engine looks sharper while OpenVR looks more "blurred", even using the same Anti Aliasing / Anisotropic Filter settings). However I can deal with it, switching to OpenVR rendering it solved the issue for me, I am finally able to play again with just very occasional frame skipping here and there (nothing too terrible).

azmodey
Protege

After one month of manipulations with meta support, they say to me, I have to wait.

I'll be using VD meanwhile, it is working smoothly but the encoding is better using airlink.

Ezpzlmnsqez
Explorer

When I'm on the desktop view after connecting to link via USB cable, I can look at performance graph and see the encoder frame rate going from steady 90fps and then dipping to 87.2 fps every few seconds.

This carries over into games (mainly racing sims) where I can have 50-60% headroom on my 4080 GPU and still observe the frame rate dropping from 90 to 87.2. You can really feel this drop.

I've tried everything imaginable and nothing fixes this issue.

the same for me, when I lower the bitrate to 65mbs I have almost no jitter but honestly the quality is bad when I play outdoor...

Having a capable rigs but a bad image quality because of compression artifact is really ironic...

Having the same issue with Assetto Corsa and trying everything imaginable.

I was able to play smooth as silk and without any issues until v46 (my very first Oculus Desktop version on this PC as I recently reinstalled everyhthing from scrath), but as soon as I updated to v47 I started to have the same stuttering issues that a lot of people are having.

What I've discovered so far:

- The problem is on the encoder, as it is shown in the logs that I sent to Oculus Support.

- Uninstalling and reinstalling the software does not change anything

- Perform a Factory Reset on the device does not change anything. It can work better on the 1st gaming session, but from the second gaming session the issue come back exactly as before

- Using OpenVR as rendering Engine instead of Oculus Native VR Engine (i can quickly change the VR Rendering type with Assetto Corsa using AC Content Manager) has A LOT less stuttering and it's smoother. It's not perfect as it was before the update, but at least I can play, having some occasional stutter and frame drops here and there. The prloblem is that OpenVR has a worse rendering quality comparing to Oculus native rendering engine (everything looks more "blurred" and less defined)

- I was able to slightly alleviate the issue by disabling HEVC. Again, it's not perfect as before the update, but on my system disabling HEVC allows me to play using Oculus Native Engine without having stutter every half a second. It's playable, while not smooth as it should be.

To disable HEVC on the encoder, run this comand in CMD, no admin needed

reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Oculus\RemoteHeadset" /v "HEVC" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

Restart Oculus Service, or, if you want to be sure, reboot your pc.

To remove this flag (if you want to come back to the old configuration with HEVC enabled): 

reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Oculus\RemoteHeadset" /v "HEVC" /f (restart oculus service / reboot pc in order to apply the new configuration)

azmodey
Protege

Thank you, using virtual desktop we can see a difference in decoding time difference from HEVC to H264 maybe it helps with higher bitrate

To me it was the same experience, there are some months, everything was fine.

Because of this problem I tried everything,

fatal88
Expert Protege

You can't do anything.

With v47 lowering the bitrate to 90 mbps on air link solve-ish the issue, but it's ugly as hell (before v46 I've used constant 170mbps bitrate without any issue). And sometimes tracking is still all over the place, but at least it's playable.

But this is not OK. I hope they will fix this with the upcoming update.

On my side, it is 65mbps...

Ezpzlmnsqez
Explorer

Oculus support staff are so comically useless. Actually felt like I was going insane dealing with them.

They just kept passing my ticket around in circles to different support staff.

No matter how much time you take troubleshooting for 1 staff member and sending logs etc, the next day a different clown will reply and have no idea what they are talking about. Complete waste of time.

The last guy told me my 4080 was not compatible and that I should update my GPU....