cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where is my environnement through LINK???

Laur78
Honored Guest

I just reconnected with my quest (1st generation) and when I went to my link universe, just a grid? I spent weeks in making my home and customised it!!! What's the heck? 'Homes' are a huge part of the fun in VR!! Is Meta totally stupid or what? I liked my nomad home but not customisable at all (chose the space one) But I loved my gorgeous link one : I added a lot of stuff!! I am VERY sad and don't understand: that's mean from meta!!!!I was maybe thinking in buying the meta quest 3 but until I can customise me home LINK again I surely won't!!I don't know anything about techs but it was so easy and you got gifts each week to add a piece of furniture, you were able to travel to other people places to visit their homes: that was a wonderful idea!!! Meta is going backward for me, Don't care about 'less blurry , more powerful gear or whatever' i just care about fun and this is robbingt all my fun!! A french woman very angry!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

kojack
MVP
MVP

Unfortunately Meta shut down the PC Home app last year.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

kojack
MVP
MVP

Unfortunately Meta shut down the PC Home app last year.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Hi @Laur78  I think many people wanted to get to their games and apps quicker.  I totally understand others liked the Home environment and enjoyed customising it but yeah, I suppose the main draw is the apps which you spend many more hours in.

You could find an app that you can customise instead?  Build a world in Horizons etc?

Oh and yeah, definitely upgrade to a Quest 3 - they're incredible.

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Yep, we had quite a few comments on the forum from people who thought Home used up resources and wasn't necessary.

I guess it comes down to how many people used it in the end. I stopped using it probably a year or so before Meta removed it, I kind of got bored of it and just wanted to get straight into a game as @Hiro_Protag0nist said, I don't think it took up much of the PC resources (if any) while a game was running, but it would have needed some developer time to maintain and companies have to decide if it's worth it.

With current headsets the emphasis will be on customising your own home with Augments which in my view should be more fun. Still waiting for those to arrive though!

13700K, RTX 4070 Ti, Asus ROG Strix Z790-A Gaming, Corsair H150i Capellix, 64GB Corsair Vengence DDR5, Corsair 5000D Airflow, 4TB Samsung 870 , 2TB Samsung 990 Pro x 2, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, Quest, 2, 3, Pro

kojack
MVP
MVP

Originally when the home was added, it was compulsory. An Unreal application that took up 5GB of the installer size. It would shut down when you launched a game, then start up again.

A lot of us (including me) complained about it. People found hacky ways to stop the home from loading (like making it admin only). So Meta eventually made it an option, you could have the home there, or get just the grey grid. Even then the home was still available, just click the home button to manually load it. That's how it should be, choose auto home or manual home.

But then Meta decided to just drop the entire thing. While I didn't really like the home myself, I still think it should be there for people who do.

Considering how focused on the Metaverse Meta is, I'm surprised at how little actual metaversing they've done. Having an (optional) configurable home environment and MUCH better avatar system should be a day 1 feature.

@kojack wrote:

Considering how focused on the Metaverse Meta is, I'm surprised at how little actual metaversing they've done. Having an (optional) configurable home environment and MUCH better avatar system should be a day 1 feature.

That's it!!
While I accept that people don't want the home, I'm one of those people who HATES coming to this void each day instead of my home.
I've said it before...I would pay for the option to get these homes back.

For me, home is now the Quest environment, love the Japanese one... then going to a PCVR game, I just need the library menu, you cant customise the environments though.

What would be good is having the PC game library integrate into the Quest environment.

13700K, RTX 4070 Ti, Asus ROG Strix Z790-A Gaming, Corsair H150i Capellix, 64GB Corsair Vengence DDR5, Corsair 5000D Airflow, 4TB Samsung 870 , 2TB Samsung 990 Pro x 2, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, Quest, 2, 3, Pro

What do you mean...."then going to a PCVR game"?

If you want play PCVR you HAVE to go in that void, or not?

And yes, there are some nice home enviroments for Quest - but that is not the same as the Rift homes🙁

What would be good is having the PC game library integrate into the Quest environment.

Right, that would make the situation much better. 

Meta should have thought about this and found a solution BEFORE they removed the houses.
To say "stay tuned" in the AMA thread, more than a year after they removed the homes, sounds not good......

Same - love the Japanese one at night.

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Yeah that's right you have to go to that void.

If, however, when activating Link, instead of the PC software completely taking over and the void appearing... it activated your PC game library within the still-running Quest environment... then when clicking on a game, the switch to PC completed and the game launches, that would be cool.

I'm probably describing something that can't be done, having a halfway house PC library app running in the Quest before going fully into Link, but it sounds kind of do-able.

The bottom line though is Meta are handing off the PC side of things to third parties... Steam and Virtual Desktop, if I interpret things right, so they want these others to have the ongoing responsibility to maintain and develop that side of it. Meta don't really stand to gain much from non stand-alone.

Still need help?

Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

If you need an agent to help with your Meta device, please contact our store support team here.

Having trouble with a Facebook or Instagram account? The best place to go for help with those accounts is the Facebook Help Center or the Instagram Help Center. This community can't help with those accounts.

Check out some popular posts here:

Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community

Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset

Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest

Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?