cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robin Koman - Launch Pad - Week 13- "Invisible, Like Me"

rkoman
Protege
I know that technically we're done, and we don't have to keep posting, but I find myself missing my near-daily visits to the forum to review peoples' posts.  The Facebook page helps, but it's not the same as the fuel I get from all of your accomplishments, so I thought maybe we'd keep this going.  We're going back to work on preproduction for the push past demo to full project. 

We're considering a few different things, both for scope and approachable structure for the user/audience, including keeping things in a single environment in the courtyard, with a day/night cycle that would trigger based upon connections made in the world, allowing characters to come and go, or potentially an episodic format if we're going to have multiple locales, currently I prefer the former.  This is to allow us to have our 49 individuals in need of connection (a tie for us back to the victims of the Pulse tragedy) without having all those people in the same place at the same time, which could be quite confusing for the user, and cause drastic drops in our frame rates. 

We've also found some wonderful new tools coming in Unity 5.5 (https://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/08/30/get-the-unity-5-5-beta-now/) that will help tremendously with the previously unattainable dream of having beautiful, winding paths of light connecting characters.  As we're finalizing the revisions to our plan, hopefully this version of Unity will push from beta into full release.

I thought I'd end with a piece of concept art that was created post-application, for the character Darius.  Darius a young man in the environment who has just gone to the courtyard for a quiet place to study.  He's a jazz musician in training, and much misunderstood by kids his own age, who find his studiousness and his focus to be worthy of derision.  He is a great example of the Daruma-inpsired stylization we're going for with our characters, with the round body.  The more painterly rendering on his jacket, hair, and skin show points where we'll still give realistic detail, and then imagine, in-experience, that arms would just sort of appear when they're needed.  There's a charm and appeal we're going for here, which will hopefully add to the experience. I hope you're all well!

t315fespdgwm.jpg
0 REPLIES 0