cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Binary (NK3), and Closed Beta

zerogee
Honored Guest
Hi all-

We're getting really close to launch – thanks to all of you for your amazing support! Samsung has an updated VR binary, that has goodies such as 1s until killing processes on unmount now (which should give you time to save app data), and a lot more.

You can download the binary file here: ALL_OXA_N910FXXU1ANK3_VR_N910FOXA1ANK3_CL3282287_QB2971467_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5.7z:
http://seefx.service.seeburger.com/portal-seefx/~public/644dc44f-601d-4764-ae0a-44bd6a97e32c?downloa...

You’ll need Odin, which is available here: http://seefx.service.seeburger.com/portal-seefx/~public/b528b678-5476-4a5a-a931-202601599f8d?downloa...

To use Odin, see the following instructions: http://seefx.service.seeburger.com/portal-seefx/~public/da0a32a3-f600-4724-972e-858458c83a4f?downloa...

Don't worry about updating the headset firmware.

Here’s a quick developer guide which has information mostly replicated in the Oculus Mobile SDK documentation, but it may be of use to you as a quick-reference guide: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0cw2cexh1wv6r9/Quick%20Developer%20Guide%20for%20Gear%20VR_191114.pdf?dl=... Note: There's a password attached to that file, and it's "gearvrdev"

Please update to this binary, and you’ll automatically become a Gear VR beta tester! When you go through the regular VR Setup (by attaching your headset for the first time), you’ll be asked to create an Oculus developer account, or login with your existing account. Either one should work. You’ll then be able to access Oculus Home, and see some of the content that has been approved for use in this “test production” environment.

We expect - and hope - you find bugs and have feedback. We'll be updating this post shortly with instructions on how to grab a log and send it over to us so we can reproduce and fix any problems.

The builds that are coming in are looking great. You should be hearing from Chris Pruett with more details soon, but we here at Oculus couldn’t be more proud of the content that y’all have been putting together.

As usual, fire away if you have any questions!
54 REPLIES 54

drash
Heroic Explorer
Phone binary update went smoothly, as did the entire Gear VR setup and delightful tutorial process. I think this will make a very good first impression for users!

I haven't had time to go through too much, but here's a couple of things I noticed right away:

1. My app on the store seems to be a pretty old version. Do you know if we will get to test out the update process in this closed beta? Other than going to more info to see if a new version is available, will we be able to see version numbers / version codes somewhere in the future?

2. I had been choosing "Decline" every time the "Allow Google to regularly check blahblahblah" prompt comes up when installing something, but that backfired after going into Oculus Home. I was able to install a couple of apps but then I stopped being able to do so -- purchases would simply show being stuck on the Installing phase (and other apps purchased afterwards will be stuck on downloading at 0 bytes), and I had no idea why until I got out and saw the "Allow Google to regularly check blahblah" prompt waiting for me. At this point I just accepted it to get rid of the annoyance, but that's not ideal.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

drash
Heroic Explorer
3. Home looks really nice now, very intimate and responsive.

4. The media images for any given app look pretty blurry, and are set a bit further away from the player than I would have liked. Is this set in stone the way they are now? If so, then I'll probably want to re-submit different images to compensate.

5. The media images show an animated "selection outline" when looking at them, but tapping the touchpad does nothing.

6. When not looking directly at a media image, the selection outline disappears but in its place is a very thin blue outline that looks slightly glitchy. Intentional?

7. On my app's details, it shows a blank entry for Controllers, even though I specified gamepad support. Does a blank controllers entry simply mean that nothing but the headset is *required*?

8. In the Dreadhalls summary, the text is barely long enough to warrant a scrollbar, but doesn't have a scrollbar.

9. When installing my app, I see a lot of permissions requested that I didn't list in my manifest, but this may be due to this being an old version. Just wanted to confirm that the only ones requested will be the ones specified in the manifest, correct?

That's all for now. 🙂 Very impressed with all of the other apps in the Store right now!

Serk
Explorer
I installed some games through the "Oculus" app (browsing the store directly in the phone, not in VR). Later on, when I launched Home and went to those same games, they didn't appear as installed. When pressing the Free button to download them from Home, it shows an error message (nothing specific, just a "something went wrong" message).

The games are installed, though, and I can launch them from the "Oculus" app, but not from Home.

3danimator
Honored Guest
[DBU]

drash
Heroic Explorer
10. When putting on the headset, sometimes I bump the touchpad and it fires up whatever app I happened to be pointing at before I even got the headset on, which then presents me with a period of black screen before it starts loading up something. This might only be a symptom of being in developer mode (via the GearVR service)?

11. Occasionally when putting the headset back on (and I'm not already in Home or any VR app), the screen will stay black and not load up Oculus Home, no matter how long I wait. Sometimes undocking will briefly show a still shot of Oculus Home before popping back to Android. Not sure of the pattern here yet.

12. In the Home section of Oculus Home, it seems to display the most recently-played apps. I uninstalled one of these apps (via Android Application Manager) and upon returning to Home it still shows that app. It's not a big deal, as tapping on that just takes me to the store entry for it and lets me install it again, but it might be misleading to some.

"drash" wrote:
1. My app on the store seems to be a pretty old version. Do you know if we will get to test out the update process in this closed beta? Other than going to more info to see if a new version is available, will we be able to see version numbers / version codes somewhere in the future?

I see that a bunch of apps have been updated! The process went smoothly for me, both from in Oculus Home's Store, and from the Updates section of the Oculus Home Library.

drash
Heroic Explorer
13. If I am in the Updates section of the Library, and I tap on an app, it will bring up that app's store entry page, and then without fail it will keep going and bring up the Details page because that's where the cursor was, and the touchpad tap seems to register twice in this case.

drash
Heroic Explorer
14. Kicked off a bunch of updates, and played an app before at least one of them finished. Upon getting out of that app, I received a message saying an install failed, and it gave me the name of an android package name. As a user, I won't really know which app it was referring to, and it might be troublesome to try to figure it out. This is probably going to be a common scenario when users are able to go on download sprees of the all the free apps.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"drash" wrote:

9. When installing my app, I see a lot of permissions requested that I didn't list in my manifest, but this may be due to this being an old version. Just wanted to confirm that the only ones requested will be the ones specified in the manifest, correct?

I have a feeling that some of the privileges (for example the camera ones) are related to the Oculus Universal Menu, because that is capable of turning on the see-through-camera. Could that be?

flarb
Honored Guest
Is this firmware update for the Note 4 only, or will it work on the S5?
@flarb