cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0.5.0 not working....

iGerbil
Honored Guest
I just downloaded the 0.5.0 mobile SDK; tried a new Unity project with a OVR Camera Rig but nothing works, I keep getting these errors:

Failed to parse Oculus version string "(Unable to load LibOVR)" with message "There must be 2, 3 or 4 components in the version string.".
UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
OVRManager:Awake() (at Assets/OVR/Scripts/OVRManager.cs:478)

Version check failed. Please make sure you are using Oculus runtime 0.5.0 or newer.
UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
OVRManager:Awake() (at Assets/OVR/Scripts/OVRManager.cs:481)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
OVRDisplay.ConfigureEyeDesc (OVREye eye) (at Assets/OVR/Scripts/OVRDisplay.cs:616)
OVRDisplay..ctor () (at Assets/OVR/Scripts/OVRDisplay.cs:128)
OVRManager.Awake () (at Assets/OVR/Scripts/OVRManager.cs:579)

OVRCameraRig.ConfigureCamera (OVREye eye) (at Assets/OVR/Scripts/OVRCameraRig.cs:274)
OVRCameraRig.UpdateCameras () (at Assets/OVR/Scripts/OVRCameraRig.cs:147)
OVRCameraRig.Start () (at Assets/OVR/Scripts/OVRCameraRig.cs:98)

OVRCameraRig.ConfigureCamera (OVREye eye) (at Assets/OVR/Scripts/OVRCameraRig.cs:274)
OVRCameraRig.UpdateCameras () (at Assets/OVR/Scripts/OVRCameraRig.cs:147)
OVRCameraRig.LateUpdate () (at Assets/OVR/Scripts/OVRCameraRig.cs:113)

OVRGameView.OnUpdate () (at Assets/OVR/Editor/OVRGameView.cs:48)
UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions ()

Using Unity 4.6.3…..

Anyopne knows what’s wrong ????
14 REPLIES 14

AbandonedCart
Honored Guest
That is on page 11 of the documentation. This is not something that has been planned for months or advertised as an upcoming change across multiple releases. I can't believe anyone is a position of authority on the forums would be making a statement that infers RTFM as though their sales don't depend on developer interest in the product.

I don't know how most people handle an update, but I don't go read the full documentation on every download and the fact that it was only a passing note in a post (not a sticky, just a post) announcing the new SDK was no less discrete.

If you are going to radically change the entire workflow, you'd think something more than a casual post with a side note or throwing it in the full documentation would be justified. It seems that when the promise was made that better communication would be a priority, it would be clear communication and not these games.

You guys aren't releasing some hack software to enthusiasts anymore. The second you got a display in Best Buy, it was time to put on the big boy pants and start running operations like a legitimate hardware manufacturer.

Sorry, but I have spent more time trying to figure out what poorly documented change, missing feature, or unlisted issue from the Oculus mobile SDK broke my game than I have actually improving or debugging the game itself. If you want better games, then it is up to Oculus to provide adequate tools and support that can make that possible.

iGerbil
Honored Guest
I totally agree...... Such an important change should not go on page 11 of the documentation !!

Moreover, it mentions Oculus Rift, which is a device solely connected to the PC; I'm working on the Gear VR, therefore using the mobile SDK, which is a totally different beast (at least in theory). If you search the Mobile SDK docs, there is not single mention of the PC runtime, nor in the mobile SDK installation guide, nor in the Unity integration guide.

Just found out now that PC runtime installation is mentioned in the Release notes..... Again: such a major change should go in the full installation docs, not just the release notes.

You can't justify poor documentation or flaws by just calling a product "innovator edition" (which makes me feel a bit like a guinea pig....)

cybereality
Grand Champion
OK, I will see about getting the docs updated so this is more clear.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

rosebud_the_sle
Expert Protege
Hey guys, if you have specific feedback about areas of the docs, I'm sure our documentation team would love to hear them.

Also, if you run into a problem that you can't figure out, checking the docs is likely to be the fastest route to a solution (followed by posting here, or to answers.oculus.com). We don't expect you to read the docs with every update, but we do document this stuff so that you can find it when you need it.

AbandonedCart
Honored Guest
"chrispruett" wrote:
Hey guys, if you have specific feedback about areas of the docs, I'm sure our documentation team would love to hear them.

Also, if you run into a problem that you can't figure out, checking the docs is likely to be the fastest route to a solution (followed by posting here, or to answers.oculus.com). We don't expect you to read the docs with every update, but we do document this stuff so that you can find it when you need it.

The problem is that the documentation is just one of many issues. In the last few months, there's been:

An SDK that was new attached to an old version number and an old date
    An SDK that was given the new version number and date but was the old file
    Documentation for features that, when implemented, were not supported
    An SDK that required forcing EGL 2.0 but with a manifest that forced EGL 3.0
    A requirement for the PC runtime that required searching out why "it broke"
    The health warning from the PC version in the editor that isn't in a mobile build
    An update for Unity 5 a month after public release, but months after their beta

For me, the poor documentation implies the theory that there is minimal testing. I wouldn't be able to explain how to implement something if I put it out before I had gone through the process a few times myself.

I am not trying to be one of the people bashing the hardware, the SDK, or even Oculus. I am not one of the ones who wants some personalized email that tells me "we're working on it" or what I can do on my own to avoid these issues in the future. Instead, I would prefer that the next SDK fix more than it breaks and has enough information plainly visible to make sure the update I perform is the update that was intended. Less damage control, more damage prevention.