cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable GearVR Headset Buttons for Custom Install

Anselm
Explorer
So the company I work for is designing a VR game designed to be deployed in an amusement park setting. The app will not be deployed on the Oculus store, we will custom install it on the phones. We are using Samsung Galaxy S7's, and we have the ability to root the phone if needed.

One issue we've run into while focus group testing is many people tend to press the home and/or back buttons by accident, causing them to exit the application and requiring an operator to come assist them. Because these phones will be used solely for this app, and we don't need to post the app on the Oculus store, we are looking for a way to simply lock out the home and back buttons on the headset via software.

I have rooted the phones and disabled the functionality of all buttons on the S7 device (Home, back, power, etc.), but even then the headset buttons still worked. This seems to imply that Oculus bypasses the Android OS when getting input events from the headset.

My question for the community is if anyone has successfully accomplished locking out the home and/or back buttons via software, or has any leads on what we may be able too do to accomplish this. We're looking for something we could do within our app, a modification to the Android OS, or a separate app we could create to block the input events. Any ideas/thoughts on this topic?

As a side note, we have already looked into physical covers for the buttons. A software solution would work significantly better for our particular use-case.
8 REPLIES 8

Anselm
Explorer
Anybody know anything about this?

InnerExodus
Adventurer
Hi,

I am currently looking into this issue and will advise you with any details that I find.

Anselm
Explorer
I haven't been able to find anything thus far. I have an E-mail out to Oculus software support, I'll update if I find anything.

InnerExodus
Adventurer
@Anselm

Hi, we are reviewing this request internally and will follow up with you via our ticketing system.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can only place my request to add such a feature. I'm in the same situation like the initial poster, so please oculus consider implementing such a functionality.

vOwl
Explorer
+1

BlueVolcano
Honored Guest
Any further updates on this?
I feel that Oculus need to realize that there are special cases where developers need to override this for non commercial cases.

justiceinc
Protege
We have the same requirement for Gear VR and Go. Also we need the system to return to the app after power off or reboot. Please?