cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go: How to keep awake while still in app

JJBigThoughts
Honored Guest
I working on an Oculus Go app, using Unity, where the user is literally expected to sleep while using the app and with the headset still on their head.  I seem to be running into the problem where the Oculus Go goes into power save mode because of inactivity.  Presumably, the user isn't moving enough when they are in a deep sleep.  

Although I've included instructions for the user on how to disable sleep as a system wide setting, this is far from ideal.  On iOS, it is a simple one-line stay-awake type of command.

Does anyone have any hints on how to keep the Oculus Go from turning off?

Just to be clear, this stay-awake behavior should only happen while the user is wearing the headset and using the this app, and only this app.  If the user takes off the headset, normal turn-off behavior should be immediately restored.  

Thanks in advance,
JJ
8 REPLIES 8

JJBigThoughts
Honored Guest
Nudging - I'm still hoping somebody knows how to keep a Go from going to sleep if the user is too still (like when they are sleeping).

JJBigThoughts
Honored Guest
Nudging - I'm still hoping somebody knows how to keep a Go from going to sleep if the user is too still (like when they are sleeping).

Anonymous
Not applicable
You might try putting a print line in the Update() function, so it is constantly "doing something" each frame.  Not sure on a specific sleep related command though.

JJBigThoughts
Honored Guest
Thanks for the idea, but the app does do stuff frequently, at least once a second. The problem seems to be when the user doesn't move.

iOS has this:

[UIApplication sharedApplication].idleTimerDisabled = YES;

I'm looking for the equivalent. I would, of course, re-enable it then the headset was unmounted.  

ambulatore
Honored Guest
hello. im having the same problem...any news on this?
thanks!

JJBigThoughts
Honored Guest

hello. im having the same problem...any news on this?
thanks!

The official word from a developer via Oculus support is that it is not possible.  Apparently, it is an OS level override.  I hope it will change in the future.
Also (the current OS no longer lets the user force the device to stay on, so there is no longer any work-around, either).  Oh well.

JJBigThoughts
Honored Guest
I've created a bug report for this. https://developer.oculus.com/bugs/bug/351572822209532/

Let's hope this gets addressed in a future release.

VintageGreen
Adventurer

really this is bloody stupid using Unreal when a host headset goes to sleep the game freezes for clients they can move around but the replication stops and all objects are frozen

p2p requires us to be able to prevent the app from sleeping when headset is off while game is active period.