cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go controller touchpad issues (discussion)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Related bug report can be found here: https://developer.oculus.com/bugs/bug/470815390013567/

The touchpad on the Oculus Go Controller sporadically reports significantly incorrect values for touch positions, mostly biased towards reporting a position of (0, 0) when the touchpad is clearly being touched, particularly towards the top of the touchpad.

What are your opinions on this, have you noticed issues or is everything working as intended for you?

62 REPLIES 62

jonnystrong1
Protege

Tolin93 said:

I don't know if this helps anyone, but for my game I decided to use click + touch vector for linear movement, with the touch vector checking for presses 0.5f to the right, -0.5f to the left and -0.65 down. Then if none of those are detected but the trackpad is still clicked - I assume that's a forward click. 
It's not the best of solutions, since you can still click on the edges of the touchpad and get a click but not a touch input - But at least that's workable as opposed to the forward direction just randomly not working. 
Of course this makes the touchpad more of a D-pad; But it's working fine as movement input. Thought I'd share. 
Still doesn't solve the fact that the touchpad is pretty much useless of anything like vertical swiping etc. Or situations where you want to use the touch input without clicking. 

I thought of that as well but am using the touch pad click for a jump function. 

You figure something as basic as this would work. I notice if you wet your finger a bit the response is better, and re centering the controller seems to work.

Seems i will have to tell the users of my game to stop and recenter the controller if they cant move forward. Hope that doesn't happen at a critical point.

Halfspacer
Adventurer

I thought of that as well but am using the touch pad click for a jump function. 

You figure something as basic as this would work. I notice if you wet your finger a bit the response is better, and re centering the controller seems to work.

Seems i will have to tell the users of my game to stop and recenter the controller if they cant move forward. Hope that doesn't happen at a critical point.

My workaround might actually work decently for Tore.
This is based on the OVRPlayerController but the logic is extremely simple and easily adaptable. Just swap out the bold for your own movement code and see how it runs. Like I mentioned, it's not perfect - but at least you always have working movement in all directions. 

Vector2 primaryAxis = OVRInput.Get(OVRInput.Axis2D.PrimaryTouchpad);
            if (OVRInput.Get(OVRInput.Button.PrimaryTouchpad))
            {
                if (primaryAxis.y < -0.65f)
                    MoveThrottle += ort * (moveInfluence * Vector3.back);

else if (primaryAxis.x < -0.5f)
                    MoveThrottle += ort * (moveInfluence * Vector3.left);

else if (primaryAxis.x > 0.5f)
                    MoveThrottle += ort * (moveInfluence * Vector3.right);
                else
                    MoveThrottle += ort * (moveInfluence * Vector3.forward);
            }

Swamp7hing
Protege
I'm surprised Oculus doesn't allow us to use the third-party Samsung Gear VR controller with the Go as a temporary workaround while the Go controller touchpad is fixed, as I have never had any issues with that hardware.

jonnystrong1
Protege
Thank you!!!

Your code has got me off to the right start. I now have consistent movement. the forward touch only OCCASIONALY stops working, but quickly resolves itself. And this is only at the very top of the touchpad, where you would expect to get the quickest movement on any controller scheme.

Only problem is, since i no longer am accurately reading the touch pad position, i no longer have joystick like movement, making the jumping WAY less accurate.... actually breaks my level design in a lot of places... but if this is never going to be fixed, I can pivot and fine tune my levels to be less challenging.

Is this likely going to be fixed, or should I move on and change my level design? I made this little graphic to show the best workable control scheme ive got so far.

86epo4cfs8o4.jpg

People love the alpha so far, the only issue Ive gotten from people is the sketchy responsiveness of the controller when moving forward.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm going to bump this, as I also have problems with this. 

jonnystrong1
Protege
Doesn't seem to be a high priority. They've mentioned before that it may be fixed with a firmware update but I dont see how that would be possible if the controller itself is faulty. The gear vr controller works perfectly, I think this may have slipped through the cracks for them.

Swamp7hing
Protege
Bumping this for an update.

motorsep
Rising Star

I tweeted at Carmack (many times, since the issue was raised) and he keeps ignoring it. Something tells me Oculus is not interested in fixing this because: A. Go is deemed to be a media player only (as if 99% of people with Go don't care for games); B. All hands on deck for Quest release (which is a VR gaming device)

Halfspacer
Adventurer

motorsep said:

I tweeted at Carmack (many times, since the issue was raised) and he keeps ignoring it. Something tells me Oculus is not interested in fixing this because: A. Go is deemed to be a media player only (as if 99% of people with Go don't care for games); B. All hands on deck for Quest release (which is a VR gaming device)

It's most likely an underlying issue with the hardware that they simply haven't been able to work around. Add to that the fact that it's a pretty rare bug in instances where the user scrolls etc, and mostly just affects games that use the touchpad for linear locomotion; Something that's not really recommended in terms of movement mechanics anyway. 

motorsep
Rising Star

Tolin93 said:

...... and mostly just affects games that use the touchpad for linear locomotion; Something that's not really recommended in terms of movement mechanics anyway. 

Oh, I agree. However, you can't convince the Internet. Those people (and there are a lot of those apparently) who aren't affected by motion sickness will demand such locomotion and they can't accept the fact that VR games don't have to have it. Which will lead to shitposts and downvotes.