cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go controller touchpad issues (discussion)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Related bug report can be found here: https://developer.oculus.com/bugs/bug/470815390013567/

The touchpad on the Oculus Go Controller sporadically reports significantly incorrect values for touch positions, mostly biased towards reporting a position of (0, 0) when the touchpad is clearly being touched, particularly towards the top of the touchpad.

What are your opinions on this, have you noticed issues or is everything working as intended for you?

62 REPLIES 62

shafyy
Explorer
Yeah I figured out the same trick with removing the battery cap. While it improves the issue for me, it doesn't make it go away completely. This is kind of ridicolous, since I have this issue on 2 of my 7 or so Gos. Wrote a support ticket, expecting them to at least replace my controllers for free.

Schneider21
Expert Protege
My company just bought 2 Gos for us to work with, and one of the first things I noticed was the touch pad issue. Exactly as described in this thread, with it working fine except for the top quadrant. The issue is present on both controllers, but much more pronounced on the one.

How is there no word on this after all this time? It's actually making me pretty nervous for the Quest hardware, after I was nothing but excited for it before.

motorsep
Rising Star

My company just bought 2 Gos for us to work with, and one of the first things I noticed was the touch pad issue. Exactly as described in this thread, with it working fine except for the top quadrant. The issue is present on both controllers, but much more pronounced on the one.

How is there no word on this after all this time? It's actually making me pretty nervous for the Quest hardware, after I was nothing but excited for it before.

I am pretty sure it's all hands on deck right now with Quest and Rift S release.

Also I doubt Go controller will be fixed, since the target audience for it is not (even core) gamers.

Schneider21
Expert Protege

motorsep said:
I doubt Go controller will be fixed, since the target audience for it is not (even core) gamers.

That's so disappointing. I don't get how this isn't a big issue for them, given that it affects media apps as well. I first noticed the discrepancy trying to scroll through the Library the way the system tells you to (before discovering trigger-dragging) and the touchpad drag action seemed to keep being interrupted.

I honestly don't understand how this could have gone unnoticed before launching, and why it hasn't been pointed out by any of the VR enthusiast sites reviewing the Go.

motorsep
Rising Star
Swiping works fine, using d-pad press works fine.. The only thing that doesn't work fine is directional d-pad presses, which aren't used anywhere by default (not in Home, not in Store, not in Oculus apps)

c4augustus
Explorer

Tolin93 said:

I don't know if this helps anyone, but for my game I decided to use click + touch vector for linear movement, with the touch vector checking for presses 0.5f to the right, -0.5f to the left and -0.65 down. Then if none of those are detected but the trackpad is still clicked - I assume that's a forward click. 
It's not the best of solutions, since you can still click on the edges of the touchpad and get a click but not a touch input - But at least that's workable as opposed to the forward direction just randomly not working. 
Of course this makes the touchpad more of a D-pad; But it's working fine as movement input. Thought I'd share. 
Still doesn't solve the fact that the touchpad is pretty much useless of anything like vertical swiping etc. Or situations where you want to use the touch input without clicking. 

This is a great idea, so I did some of my own diagnostics. I do not believe that the problem is the hardware at all, but rather the ergonomics of the controller. To verify this, just look at the controller mesh when swiping and pressing the thumbstick (thumbpad) while in the Oculus Go menu lobby. You will see it animate a blue dot for the swipes and presses. It seems that it is determining which discrete direction the press action corresponds to by the last touch position of your thumb. In order words, there is only one actual button press, but it translates that press to Up/Down/Left/Right if your thumb is touching near up/down/left/right before you pressed. At least that's how the Unreal Engine maps to its input events. The problem is that when we press the up position the back of our thumb is likely touching the pad near the center so it translates that to a Center press instead of Up press. So now I treat the Center press input (in UE as "MotionController (L/R) Thumbstick" without Up/Down/Left/Right) as the Up press because I am using these events for short teleports to avoid sliding sickness. This blueprint solves the problem for us:

s95cc9kqsxrm.png

rmajunior
Explorer

I honestly don't understand how this could have gone unnoticed before launching, and why it hasn't been pointed out by any of the VR enthusiast sites reviewing the Go.

Now that you said it, it makes total sense!  😮  I haven't heard anything of the like before I made the case for my research group to adopt Oculus GO for our instructional technology research implementation.  😐
motorsep said:

Swiping works fine, using d-pad press works fine.. The only thing that doesn't work fine is directional d-pad presses, which aren't used anywhere by default (not in Home, not in Store, not in Oculus apps)

I'm running focus groups with students who beta tested my educational game in high school, and all I hear is about the controller being laggy/buggy/glitchy... I thought it was my fault, the coding not being polished or good enough (because I'm a teacher, not a developer). Now that I found out I'm not alone, it makes me really mad! 

Is this likely going to be fixed, or should I move on and change my level design? I made this little graphic to show the best workable control scheme ive got so far.

86epo4cfs8o4.jpg

Thank you! this picture will help us a lot

rmajunior
Explorer

Tolin93 said:

I thought of that as well but am using the touch pad click for a jump function. 

You figure something as basic as this would work. I notice if you wet your finger a bit the response is better, and re centering the controller seems to work.

Seems i will have to tell the users of my game to stop and recenter the controller if they cant move forward. Hope that doesn't happen at a critical point.

My workaround might actually work decently for Tore.
This is based on the OVRPlayerController but the logic is extremely simple and easily adaptable. Just swap out the bold for your own movement code and see how it runs. Like I mentioned, it's not perfect - but at least you always have working movement in all directions. 

Vector2 primaryAxis = OVRInput.Get(OVRInput.Axis2D.PrimaryTouchpad);
            if (OVRInput.Get(OVRInput.Button.PrimaryTouchpad))
            {
                if (primaryAxis.y < -0.65f)
                    MoveThrottle += ort * (moveInfluence * Vector3.back);

else if (primaryAxis.x < -0.5f)
                    MoveThrottle += ort * (moveInfluence * Vector3.left);

else if (primaryAxis.x > 0.5f)
                    MoveThrottle += ort * (moveInfluence * Vector3.right);
                else
                    MoveThrottle += ort * (moveInfluence * Vector3.forward);
            }

Hey Tolin,

how did you declare these bold variables?

MoveThrottle would be a speed force or something? Is if a float variable?
moveInfluence would be a Dpad vector 2 variable? 

I tried to replace the bold like you suggested, but I wasn't successful.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I have the same problem, it's quite frustrating, I manage to minimize this failure with the following:

Foward: if (OVRInput.Get(OVRInput.Axis2D.PrimaryTouchpad).y > -0.85f

Back: if ( OVRInput.Get(OVRInput.Axis2D.PrimaryTouchpad).y < -0.85f

tkdcx6ev0kfd.jpg

I must say that in my game, I almost always have to move you forward, very rarely backward.

rmajunior
Explorer

Hi,

I have the same problem, it's quite frustrating, I manage to minimize this failure with the following:

Foward: if (OVRInput.Get(OVRInput.Axis2D.PrimaryTouchpad).y > -0.85f

Back: if ( OVRInput.Get(OVRInput.Axis2D.PrimaryTouchpad).y < -0.85f

tkdcx6ev0kfd.jpg

I must say that in my game, I almost always have to move you forward, very rarely backward.

Bitmoji Image