cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go controller touchpad issues (discussion)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Related bug report can be found here: https://developer.oculus.com/bugs/bug/470815390013567/

The touchpad on the Oculus Go Controller sporadically reports significantly incorrect values for touch positions, mostly biased towards reporting a position of (0, 0) when the touchpad is clearly being touched, particularly towards the top of the touchpad.

What are your opinions on this, have you noticed issues or is everything working as intended for you?

62 REPLIES 62

Halfspacer
Level 5

motorsep said:

Tolin93 said:

...... and mostly just affects games that use the touchpad for linear locomotion; Something that's not really recommended in terms of movement mechanics anyway. 

Oh, I agree. However, you can't convince the Internet. Those people (and there are a lot of those apparently) who aren't affected by motion sickness will demand such locomotion and they can't accept the fact that VR games don't have to have it. Which will lead to shitposts and downvotes. 

Check out the workarounds JonnyStrong and I discussed above, they work pretty well in terms of linear movement with the touchpad. Bit quirky but it'll get you 80% there. Which is probably better than having it 100% "some of the time". 

motorsep
Level 8

Tolin93 said:

motorsep said:

Tolin93 said:

...... and mostly just affects games that use the touchpad for linear locomotion; Something that's not really recommended in terms of movement mechanics anyway. 

Oh, I agree. However, you can't convince the Internet. Those people (and there are a lot of those apparently) who aren't affected by motion sickness will demand such locomotion and they can't accept the fact that VR games don't have to have it. Which will lead to shitposts and downvotes. 

Check out the workarounds JonnyStrong and I discussed above, they work pretty well in terms of linear movement with the touchpad. Bit quirky but it'll get you 80% there. Which is probably better than having it 100% "some of the time". 

Input in games need to work 100%, not 80%. So it either has to be fixed or officially admitted it's not fixable (or saying they won't fix it, period). It's pretty simple really. Lack of transparency in communication ruined a lot of good deals out there.

Halfspacer
Level 5

motorsep said:

Input in games need to work 100%, not 80%. So it either has to be fixed or officially admitted it's not fixable (or saying they won't fix it, period). It's pretty simple really. Lack of transparency in communication ruined a lot of good deals out there.

I 100% agree; I was just speaking in terms of workarounds. 

jamman
Level 3
Hey, bumping this post, I just got my Go yesterday, and I was convinced the controller was broken, took me an hour to figure out exactly why it didn't feel right so I could google it, now all I find is that Oculus doesn't care 😕 I have a rift as well, and I know that's more for games so the Go shouldn't matter, but I thought the Go would be a great way to show friends content, without lugging my PC about,but I guess not 😞 how did it ever get through QA with such a glaring issue, and why isn't this more widely advertised, I basically feel like I wasted $380 AUD. I should of just bought a daydream. Considering getting a refund.

motorsep
Level 8
So I tweeted at Carmack and Oculus asking politely to say yay or nay to the fix for this issue, in the spirit of transparency with developers who make stuff for this VR platform....only to hear back crickets.. Kinda sad. I don't understand why Oculus can't firmly say whether they will fix it or not.

Sky_Ingram
Level 2
My touch pad keeps cutting out. It’s made some of my games unplayable. I’m curious if the controller is broken or is this a bug in the system. Has anyone tried a different controller? I’m thinking of buying a replacement to check & see if it’s the system or the controller.  

shane_greenwald
Level 2
I did buy a replacement just got in the mail few days ago and exactly the same problem with the up as the one that I  Got 5 months ago

caissonhogue
Level 2
I’m still having this issue as well it really will hurt developers as it makes me not want to buy any games, it completely ruins the experience when you can’t press up/move forward in a game. 

Kamelnotllama
Level 2
o_O wowwwww this is absolutely ridiculous. I purchased the go today (I own 2 oculus rifts, now a go... you're welcome) and noticed this bug immediately, during the tutorial no less. Once in the YouTube application I discovered that the touchpad basically doesn't work so the youtube app is useless if you want to scroll through videos since it does not support the "click and drag" style the main menu does.

You are very near taking a brand promoter and turning them into a detractor. The reason I like oculus is for its polish and having a touchpad on a controller not even close to working correctly is no where near acceptable. Worst part is, for every one post from someone like me who will actually bother writing a post about it, there are thousands of others who will simply react without vocalizing their concerns. I'll see if I can find a workaround, if not it's probably going back. I refuse to purchase a controller due to your negligence you can keep it.

lukaz08
Level 2
I figured out how to make it functional at least on my device. It"s a bit ridiculous but if you remove the bottom portion and use your pinky and ring finger to press against the battery (towards your palm like you normally grip it) the touchpad works flawlessly. It only takes a small amount of pressure to the battery so using electical tape to secure it in place would probably work as well. Unacceptable as a permanent solution but for now it is a viable workaround for me so I can actually use it in games/apps that depend on it's functionality. Hope this helps someone else.