cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project development

13thFloor
Honored Guest
Hi everyone,

I have a project I want to look at developing and wondering if I can get some pointers on the direction to go or what's needed.

I want to 3D scan a object and setup way points on the object to be checked and the system/game marks these off as being checked. Need to be able to replay back the event.

Engine : Unity should provide more than enough grunt to achieve the realism I need for this.
Platform : Android/GearVR so it's mobile and the head tracking should be enough. Should also have enough power to run the application I hope.
3D scanning of large object up to size of a bus : ?? Google Tango or too early to tell?
3D tracking in open environment/root : Since the floor require would be about 10mx20m what could track this 3D space.

I was thinking of a cardboard box with QR codes mapped all over this. I know Valve did this for their VR room if I recal right.

And lastly.. any UK chaps around London area on here that can assist with the above.
Intel i920@4ghz, 12gb ram, Windows 7 Nvidia GTX 970 4gb, 120gb SSD, OR Dev Kit 1&2
4 REPLIES 4

Yeticrab
Explorer
3D scanning is going to be your big challenge. 3D scanning of large environments is tech that's very similar in it's development stage as to where VR was in the 1990's--ie it's talked about a lot on TV, but doesn't work nearly as well in real life.

13thFloor
Honored Guest
Yeah I'd still be skeptical on anything scanning an exact replica of a large detailed object sufficient enough vs what a basic 3D modeller could knock out in a day. Project Tango makes bold claims?

I'm just wondering how hard Unity is to program a basic environment with a static backdrop (hi res picture), and a 3D model that can be walked around and inspected. Tuscany demo basically but where the house is a vehicle, or a piece of machinery etc.. with various way points you have to look at and tick off a checklist.
Intel i920@4ghz, 12gb ram, Windows 7 Nvidia GTX 970 4gb, 120gb SSD, OR Dev Kit 1&2

pamelataylor
Honored Guest
Hi there,
I'm working in the domain of mobile app development for quite some time now and have used the Google Tango. It is not making bold claims. From my experience, I can say that it is one of the best mappers that gives you a very accurate 3d model of its immediate surroundings and thus is very useful for AR gaming.

ricard2798
Honored Guest
My 2 humble cents. You are talking about an object about the size of a bus. You do not have to worry about the PHYSICAL size of the object, but HOW COMPLEX the object is. Since a buss is a fairly regular object, what you are saying is very possible, even for vr in a cell phone.
For example, I 3d scanned an object for my game, that originally scanned at about 4 MILLION POLYGONS. Feed that into a note 4, and you will probably bring it to its knees (if it loads at all). But if instead you take that object... save the HIGH Resolution texture, and then decimate the object mesh to 3k polygons, and apply the high end mesh, now you have a 3k model that looks like a 4mm poly because of the textures.
So feel free to 3d scan... sure a good modeler can generate better models (most likely), but I doubt the texturing will be as good... and even if it is, 3d scanning can yield you phenomenal results in less than an hour for far a lesser price than a good modeler will charge.
If you want proof, look at my other post on gear vr jam section (What is the best way to approach a VR Jam project? , or something like that). there i have a link to a small demo I did for testing purposes, and some video movies of an object decimated from 4mm to 10k.

Remember the mantra... HIGH RES TEXTURE - LOW POLY MODEL... REPEAT ... HIGH RES TEXTURE - LOW POLY MODEL...
🙂