cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung s7 has worse performance than samsung s6

yurii_karpiuk
Explorer
On Gear VR samsung s7 has worse performance than samsung s6.
In test scene we have only 25 persons (~48k tris) with animation. And OVRDebugInfo show 55-60 fps on Galaxy S6, but on Galaxy S7 show 29-33 fps.
Unity 5.6.0f3
How can this be explained?
19 REPLIES 19

firagabird
Adventurer
@sfaok

Thank you very much for posting screenshots of your profiler data. This should hopefully help the Oculus team better understand where the preformance regression is coming from.

Additionally, I noticed that there's a Support category in the community (non-dev) forum. Maybe if you make a thread there with these screenshots, it'll get more visibility.
S7 Exynos Nougat. 2017 Gear VR. Public test channel.

sfaok
Protege
@firagabird I think support is more for the consumer side, broken Rifts etc. 

I've had to delay a major update to my app due to this S7 regression so any help would be greatly appreciated! Wish I could go back to 5.4.5 but its a one way street after updating to 5.6.

I've spent weeks trying everything I can think of but I'm not sure its fixable from this side unfortunately. Tried variants of Unity 5.6.X, 2017, betas, Oculus utilities. different java SDKs, build systems, Mono + IL2CPP, graphics APIs, updating android on phone, factory reset - no fix.:'(  

Pressing back button and coming back into the app also severely affects performance on my S7 - not sure its a related issue but it causes similar (but much more frequent) spikes in WaitForGPU even in modest scenes - but that's covered in another thread.
Developer of Ocean Rift. Follow me on Twitter @sfaok

firagabird
Adventurer
@sfaok

I noticed that everytime an Oculus Dev responds directly to Unity issues, they always ask for a repro file (a minimal project that reproduces the issue.) Try stripping your project until just the problem settings and/or assets remain, and upload that both in this forum and as a ticket/email to Oculus support.

Personally, the numerous reports of performance issues in Unity releases >5.4 significantly worry me. One of my major fields is to create a benchmark type of app that represents the limits of what Gear VR apps can push on current hardware given the current best practices and development environment i.e. Unity.

I was hoping that part of the recommended setup is to keep Unity updated, but increasingly it seems that game devs will need to keep track of performance across multiple builds as well, which multiplies development overhead.
S7 Exynos Nougat. 2017 Gear VR. Public test channel.

sfaok
Protege
@imperativity

I've submitted a sample project that reproduces the two issues I'm seeing (regression in performance on S7, massive drop in performance after returning from back menu).

Case number is 947064.

Thanks for looking into this, very much appreciated.

r0b0saru
Expert Protege
I am also seeing this problem in Unity 2017 (60 fps on S6, 45 fps on S7). Is there any fix in the pipeline?

sfaok
Protege
I've posted a repro project and video that demonstrates the back button issue and lesser performance on S7 in this thread

SxKx
Expert Protege
It´s tricky , I own S6/S8 for development and then it´s just S7 that is not performing ATM. I´d hope these framerate issues could be resolved so that everybody´s dev time could go to more important issues.

r0b0saru
Expert Protege
To be honest, this is really stalling development of Gear VR titles for me. We have 2 games in development with Unity 2017.1 which were being tested during development on S6 devices at 60fps. Now we are using an S7 for testing also and seeing 45fps. Is this something that we can expect a fix for? Or this is a known issue with S7 devices and they should be treated as the slowest device to target? I am spending more time ripping code and content out trying to hit 60fps on S7 (it is fine on S6) than building the games....

r0b0saru
Expert Protege
@imperativity is there any update on a fix for the S7 performance?

r0b0saru
Expert Protege
@imperativity
 FIXED! I just updated to Unity 2017.1.2f1 and the latest Oculus Home update. Not sure what changed, but my project is now running butter smooth at 60 fps on the S7 again. I am very excited to be able to continue development!