cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad results viewing 360 camera photos on Oculus Go

jdg1956
Level 2
Hi,

I just bought my Go, and really like it, with one glaring exception.

I have owned an LG 360 cam for about 18 months, and just recently bought my wife a Sumsung 360 cam. Viewing our 360 pictures in 'native 360' mode is one of my primary use cases for the Go.

I copied some of our photos over to the go, into a 360Photos/My Images folder. 360 Photo finds them and displays them, but the pictures are very much degraded. The resolution is terrible, the pictures are pixellated badly.

These exact photo files, viewed on a selection of phones using various photo viewers, are of excellent quality.

The pictures are stock LG 360 and Samsung 360 camera output, with no post-processing. The pictures were both 360-rendered in the respective cameras, and downloaded to phones, then saved onto computer storage.

It appears to me, though I may be 'projecting', that the default view is zoomed in so far on these pictures that I'm just seeing badly pixelated renders.

Since the same thing is happening with pictures from two different 360 cameras, I thought I would check to see if there is any pre-processing I should be looking at before moving the pictures into the Go, or some other mechanism in the viewer that I'm not finding to 'zoom out' to try to get a reasonable viewing experience.

Thanks in advance for any advice the collective might have on this topic.

Cheers,

John
2 REPLIES 2

jdg1956
Level 2
Since it appears that the pictures are zoomed in to a high degree, I tried to rescale an image to fit the scale of the Oculus Go display. I converted my 5660x2830 image (from the LG 360 cam) to 2440x1220, preserving the aspect ratio. This had no effect on the 'zoom'.

I also tried to resize and increase the pixels/inch resolution to see if that would make the viewer think the entire image was denser. Also no effect.

I'll keep trying. This is a puzzling gap, given that, especially for the Samsung camera, correct 360 photo operation would seem to be a basic feature for a VR headset.

Cheers,

John

jimjams17
Level 2
Did you manage to resolve this?