cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is watching Netflix on this thing while its charging a good idea?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know there's that warning, but is it just a corporation covering all their bases or is there genuine cause for concern? Knowing there's a warning I'd like to be sure I'm not screwing myself over in the event I feel like extending that somewhat short battery life.
5 REPLIES 5

LZoltowski
Champion
John Carmack said its more because of the short length of cable rather than anything else, I just ordered a 3m cable for better range.

50x2sg20ly57.jpg
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Pixelfox
Expert Protege
The risk would be Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly of the battery which you have strapped to your eyes, and over the lifetime of millions of units and years of use, you really kinda want the incidence of that to be zero if possible, so it's understandable they might recommend not using it while it's charging.

edmg
Trustee
Also, someone elsewhere claimed that one of their friends tried it and the headset said it was overheating and shut down. Of course, they could just be making it up.

Deckyon
Explorer
I was able to use mine while charging using a battery pack charger (26800 mah).  Went from 56% to 92% in about an hour while I was going through all the setup and config and downloading of the apps and even a short show in Netflix.  I was paying attention to it, feeling for any heat, but nothing was out of the ordinary.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

edmg said:

Also, someone elsewhere claimed that one of their friends tried it and the headset said it was overheating and shut down. Of course, they could just be making it up.

If that's true then they would have a defective unit. I've used it non-stop until the battery ran out about 4 times now, and zero heating issues.