cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go "stand-alone" requires a mobile phone... pfff....

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
I just go Oculus Go, and now after starting it up first time it says it requires a mobile phone.

I just got this because I didn't want to use my mobile phone for VR.

I'm very confused, it clearly states "STAND ALONE". Which means I should be able to use it without any other device requirements.

I can't. And I won't. I got Go for a reason, to keep it my VR stuff separated from my JOB phone, which is the only one I got.

So I can't bypass this "start by installing the *app* on your phone" without pairing it to a device that I don't have any control over.

108 REPLIES 108

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
But there are even people out there that don't have smart phones, only like old button mobile phones. If they buy this they'll be sorely disappointed.

mrczartek
Honored Guest
You only need to install the app on your cell phone long enough to set the device up initially.  Once you get the Oculus go set up, you can delete the application from your cell phone.

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
That's not what I want to do.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
You've been hating on Oculus ever since the Facebook buyout, EarlGrey.  I don't believe for one second that you actually bought a GO and are having a real issue here. This is just your regular bi-yearly complaint quota.

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
I dont mind setting it up whilst inside Oculus Go. It is advertised as stand-alone after all.

"self-contained and able to operate without other hardware or software."
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/standalone

Oculus needs to change its advertising, from "standalone" to "not standalone".

And the inherent consequence of pairing it up with your mobile phone is that oculus/fb gains access to all your mobile phone data and account, and is able to pair the Go device with your person. The permission requirements of the app give me a pause in that regard.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
Smart phones are so common now complaining about something needing one for initial setup is almost like complaining, "Assembling this furniture requires a SCREWDRIVER?   Some people don't have screwdrivers!  I don't want to use a screwdriver!"

EarlGrey
Expert Protege

TwoHedWlf said:

Smart phones are so common now complaining about something needing one for initial setup is almost like complaining, "Assembling this furniture requires a SCREWDRIVER?   Some people don't have screwdrivers!  I don't want to use a screwdriver!"

With the same reasoning, GearVR could be advertised as "standalone", because so many people have smartphones. Ughh..

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
And look, I'm not trying to be a Oculus basher or anything. I have certain ideas about privacy and compartmentalizing information and digital "lifestyles".
I buy their products in good faith, but I keep stumbling on this roadblock they put up in front of me.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I wouldn't call it a roadblock. Most people are happy just to do a one time install on an android device and then the headset works without it. If you aren't happy with that just return it for a refund and wait for a different headset.