cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go "stand-alone" requires a mobile phone... pfff....

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
I just go Oculus Go, and now after starting it up first time it says it requires a mobile phone.

I just got this because I didn't want to use my mobile phone for VR.

I'm very confused, it clearly states "STAND ALONE". Which means I should be able to use it without any other device requirements.

I can't. And I won't. I got Go for a reason, to keep it my VR stuff separated from my JOB phone, which is the only one I got.

So I can't bypass this "start by installing the *app* on your phone" without pairing it to a device that I don't have any control over.

108 REPLIES 108

desiv
Expert Protege
I don't disagree with criticism.
I think Oculus should work on making it so the Go doesn't need the phone at all.
Make those features available from a web portal, and something in the settings for adding/removing bluetooth controllers and you are all set.  I would SO much rather enter my software reviews from a web portal rather than only from the phone app..

I think that would be a great idea.

What i disagree with is the thought that they are being disingenuous in any way.

I understand what they are saying and I don't see a problem with how they are saying it.

IMHO

LZoltowski
Champion
srdr1fc5ugae.jpg

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

desiv
Expert Protege

EarlGrey said:

Oculus says no phone is needed. It's standalone.

It is a standalone VR experience.

And no phone IS needed for that VR expereince.

Just for setup, which is says on the box and main page and order page and all over the internet reviews.

desiv

EarlGrey
Expert Protege

desiv said:

EarlGrey said:

Oculus says no phone is needed. It's standalone.

It is a standalone VR experience.

And no phone IS needed for that VR expereince.

Just for setup, which is says on the box and main page and order page and all over the internet reviews.

desiv

I don't want facebook scraping my phone. They do that.

EarlGrey
Expert Protege

srdr1fc5ugae.jpg

It can be understood that the phone is required for the "companion" Oculus App, and that's why that clause is there, for the companion app. However I understood that the companion app is optional, not required.

desiv
Expert Protege

EarlGrey said:

So this is about Facebook and not the Oculus Go actually. 
Ok...
If that is the case, just say that.
Say you don't like the fact that it requires an app on your phone.
That is a valid concern.  Fine..

But implying they are being deceptive, when it is ALL over that it requires a phone makes you look a bit silly..
It's not that people don't see what you see; it's that we do, and don't agree with you on that..

LZoltowski
Champion
It does say "requires a smartphone" and "Oculus App" and "Internet access" to set up. It's all one sentence. I'm not sure they could have made it any clearer. ... as for data, don't Android apps ask you for permission when you install them, and those permissions are listed? for me Oculus App on iPhone does not request anything but photos IF I choose so.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

EarlGrey
Expert Protege

desiv said:

EarlGrey said:

So this is about Facebook and not the Oculus Go actually. 
Ok...
If that is the case, just say that.
Say you don't like the fact that it requires an app on your phone.
That is a valid concern.  Fine..

But implying they are being deceptive, when it is ALL over that it requires a phone makes you look a bit silly..
It's not that people don't see what you see; it's that we do, and don't agree with you on that..

it's not all over, it's in light gray tiny footnote texts buried somewhere, while the big black texts on the top front clearly label it not requiring a phone or anything else.

And no, i don't like facebook. I don't mind them financing vr, but what they're doing with regards of privacy and scraping information from your devices, selling it, that's just not acceptable... not to me, nor to my employer that owns my phone. I see this requirement for installing this app on your phone just a means for facebook to invade your privacy and phone data.

I did not buy Go with that in mind, that I have to give facebook all my information. I bought it because it's clearly marked stand-alone, that I didn't have to involve my company phone.

desiv
Expert Protege

EarlGrey said:

it's not all over, it's in light gray tiny footnote texts buried somewhere, while the big black texts on the top front clearly label it not requiring a phone or anything else.

And no, i don't like facebook. I don't mind them financing vr, but what they're doing with regards of privacy and scraping information from your devices, selling it, that's just not acceptable... not to me, nor to my employer that owns my phone. I see this requirement for installing this app on your phone just a means for facebook to invade your privacy and phone data.

I did not buy Go with that in mind, that I have to give facebook all my information. I bought it because it's clearly marked stand-alone, that I didn't have to involve my company phone.

When I said "all over," I was talking about the fact that it is on the box and web sites and all over the Internet in the reviews.  Personally, I don't consider it buried, but in the places that type of thing usually is.
I knew well before I bought my Go that I needed my phone.
As for privacy, there are concerns.  That is partially why I have virtually no information about me on my Facebook account.  I use it to go to sites for support on my 3D printer and now my Go, and that is it.  I've never understood people's desire to put so much of their personal information on sites like that.  And I am surprised when something happens (data sales, data breach, whatever) and people are shocked.  I would consider that expected.  😉

And let's say again that while I agree that it is marked "Stand alone", that we disagree with what that means.
It seemed obvious to me that it meant the experience is stand alone, but that I would need my phone for setup.

EarlGrey
Expert Protege

desiv said:

EarlGrey said:

When I said "all over," I was talking about the fact that it is on the box and web sites and all over the Internet in the reviews.  Personally, I don't consider it buried, but in the places that type of thing usually is.
I knew well before I bought my Go that I needed my phone.
As for privacy, there are concerns.  That is partially why I have virtually no information about me on my Facebook account.  I use it to go to sites for support on my 3D printer and now my Go, and that is it.  I've never understood people's desire to put so much of their personal information on sites like that.  And I am surprised when something happens (data sales, data breach, whatever) and people are shocked.  I would consider that expected.  😉

And let's say again that while I agree that it is marked "Stand alone", that we disagree with what that means.
It seemed obvious to me that it meant the experience is stand alone, but that I would need my phone for setup.

My privacy concerns aren't just about facebook, they're also towards my employer.

I only have one phone, on loan from my employer. They can take it away anytime, access it anytime. Now, if I pair the phone with the Go, I don't know what information about my Go usage is available there. Is my app history, usage history available? My accounts accessible? I don't know what is retained, even after removing the app, the files are still there... I don't trust anything anymore.... so I choose not to trust in the first place.

I bought a STANDALONE device, that didn't require my company phone. I don't want there to be any linkage. No involvement. No traces.

I bought Go with my own money so I could use it on my own without involving other devices.

I already have gear vr on that phone, but it's a retarded experience because I can't use it to install my own apps, buy stuff or anything.

I thought buying Go would make it my own personal device.