cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go "stand-alone" requires a mobile phone... pfff....

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
I just go Oculus Go, and now after starting it up first time it says it requires a mobile phone.

I just got this because I didn't want to use my mobile phone for VR.

I'm very confused, it clearly states "STAND ALONE". Which means I should be able to use it without any other device requirements.

I can't. And I won't. I got Go for a reason, to keep it my VR stuff separated from my JOB phone, which is the only one I got.

So I can't bypass this "start by installing the *app* on your phone" without pairing it to a device that I don't have any control over.

108 REPLIES 108

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alternative_shells_for_Windows

Ok you tell that to Windows Bob about how shells are not basically skins:)

lol - you listed Shells that provide an "alternative interface for the Windows OS."

How does that help your argument in any way here? Oculus does not run its own OS. The Rift runs on Windows, GearVR runs on Android, and GO uses a companion App that runs on either Android or iOS.

Because GO interfaces with an App residing on either an Android or iOS operating system, that proves that GO itself is the shell. So you are literally answering your own question as to why GO needs an external OS.

Well done.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alternative_shells_for_Windows

Ok you tell that to Windows Bob about how shells are not basically skins:)

lol - you listed Shells that provide an "alternative interface for the Windows OS."

How does that help your argument in any way here? Oculus does not run its own OS. The Rift runs on Windows, GearVR runs on Android, and GO uses a companion App that runs on either Android or iOS.

Because GO interfaces with an App residing on either an Android or iOS operating system, that proves that GO itself is the shell. So you are literally answering your own question as to why GO needs an external OS.

Well done.

Except GO doesn't run on IOS - it runs on Android LOL - what you see in GO is the menu system - that is a shell of the Android OS. All it is is a different interface layout.

That still doesn't explain why it needs an App residing on anything man xD

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:
Except GO doesn't run on IOS - it runs on Android LOL

You should sit this debate out, Mradr:

In
order to set up and connect your Oculus Go, you'll need to download the
Oculus app on your mobile phone. You can use the following phones with
your Oculus Go:

Android:

• Any Android phone running 6.0 Marshmallow or higher.

iPhone:

• Any iPhone running iOS 10 or higher.

https://support.oculus.com/183135912238400/

Anonymous
Not applicable
IOS apps can't run on Android OS - and Android apps can't run on IOS OS...

The app has no meaning to the GO other than to set up your GO for some strange reason - what is the reason? Why even have that as a need? What is the point of that sync to make it happen?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

That's a lovely irrelevant fact. But GO works for both Android and iOS users. You are wrong. But keep doubling down on the errors.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

The app has no meaning to the GO other than to set up your GO for some strange reason - what is the reason? Why even have that as a need? What is the point of that sync to make it happen?

You called an OS a "layer" and you said GO doesn't run on iOS. You are 0-2 on the major aspects of this debate. Asking more questions aint gonna help you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:

That's a lovely irrelevant fact. But GO works for both Android and iOS users. You are wrong. But keep doubling down on the errors.

It's a fact that has mean man. You can't be programming Apps for an OS that isn't supported for that programming. You are point out that some how GO is running IOS and that isn't true - their app can run on IOS - but not GO itself. That is my point.

Going past that - what is the fucking point of that app that can run on both IOS and android? Why is it needed?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Mradr said:

You called an OS a "layer" and you said GO doesn't run on iOS. You are 0-2 on the major aspects of this debate. Asking more questions aint gonna help you.

https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Operating_system
"the OS is loaded into memory and works as an abstraction layer between the physical hardware and the software"

Maybe recount that score brother - I really don't think you know what youre talking about at this point. GO itself doesn't run on IOS - it runs on Android - what are you smoking over there? Can I have some really? LIKE WOW. Are you not a software programmer? I thought you said you did for like 10 years or something. This basic information man =/ 

What you see inside GO - is the shell that runs over the operating system. There is some 3rd party app that requires a phone like device to sync/active the GO for some reason. GO itself doesn't require a phone - but is useless unless you can't active the device or whatever it is doing - meaning if something can't work by it self that it requires that something else to work. CV1 doesn't work by it self - you need Windows to make it work - even though it does run a basic programming inside the device to check settings - it is soo dumb that it can't work by it self though without it's software brothers meaning it's a requirement to have Windows to make it work like it should. That means a phone is required for GO in this case to work like it should. Unless it can work without doing this step - it is a requirement to have a phone for setup to make it work meaning OCulus should make it clear for setup reasons only you need a phone/phone like device to active the GO device. 

I don't see how that is a bad thing to make clear? 

You are defending GO - but I have no problems with GO it self - just the small text that states no phone required when it does require it for setup. You even posted that link saying it does - there is no getting around this fact it does require a phone/phone like device for setup. Everything else as side here - the text DOES say no phone required in their marking and clearly in the fine print it does for setup. Even if all this other talk is true - that still means that a phone is required to set it up - that means a phone is required to set it up. BOOM jump the mice - im out.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
iOS users can manage their entire account, billing, library, etc via iOS. It's simple.

There's more extensibility that comes with a companion app on a powerful OS. You refuse to accept that and don't really seem to understand what an OS provides nor what a shell is. You're just stuck in "last word" mode now.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

Yes if you go high enough where you put the human being in the equation, then sure we can call the OS a layer lol; especially if you reference some obscure site called Wikiversity.

When it comes to layers in computing, there are only 7 Layers, and OS aint one of them:

Are you not a software programmer? I thought you said you did for like
10 years or something. This basic information man =/

You aren't exactly challenging my knowledge with your Wikiversity link. You're just Googling the hell out of the Web to find something to save some bad arguments.