cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go resolution better then Gear VR according to this video?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I read somewhere that Gear VR only has a resolution of 1024 x 1024 because of down scaling. I also read that OculusGO doesn't have this problem and is 2560 x 1440. I want to know if this is true. Does the Gear VR only really have only 1024 x 1024? That would mean the Oculus GO has miles better resolution would it not? Here is the YouTube video that mention this. Skip to 2:18 on the YouTube video to see this mentioned..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGhN9LmGNOE
2 REPLIES 2

Heaney-555
Heroic Explorer
The video is wrong.

Both Oculus Go and Gear VR have a hardware resolution of 2560x1440.

However, because of overheating, most Gear VR apps only render at 2048x1080 (1080^2 per eye), whereas thanks to having better cooling, most Oculus Go apps render at 2560x1280 (1280^2) per eye.

desiv
Expert Protege

From what I am seeing online, most Gear VR games are rendered at 1024x1024.   (Which kind of makes sense if you are trying to render for devices that can have different resolutions (The S8 can do 2,960x1,440)/PPI.  Also, devs have to take into account the CPU overhead of all the other stuff (phone stuff) that the Gear VR is doing, so rendering to the "highest possible" is not a great idea for Gear VR.  (Although it might be a good "option" that can be enabled for those with really high CPU phones.)
"Higher Resolution. Even though the Oculus Go and Samsung GearVR have the same physical display resolution, the vast majority of apps on the GearVR cannot render at the full resolution. In fact, the default application resolution is 1024x1024 pixels per eye, which is undersampling the native resolution of the headset"

That said, I think that means a lot of Go games might just be ports of their GearVR counterparts and therefor might have the same issue???