cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Go using 3ds Max & V-ray 3.6?

realviewstudio
Honored Guest
Hi,

I am new to the VR community and would like to purchase the Oculus Go so I can showcase architectural 360° stereoscopic renders.
To render I use 3ds max 2016 and the V-ray 3.6 plugin.
I have a few questions and need advise on how to get started...

1. What file format would the stereoscopic renders need to be exported as?
2. What app or viewer do I need to view these renders on the Oculus Go?
3. It comes with a remote, so can I create points to transport the user from one room to the next, and how?
4. Is this all possible with the Oculus Go or is it not the right product for what I can achieve?
5. Are there any youtube video turorials that will explain this exact workflow?

I believe the Oculus Go is a fairly new product and I can't find the answers I am after.
I would appreciate some help and advise on this as I have no idea and I don't want to purchase the product without knowing I can achieve all this.

I look forward hearing some suggestions.

Thank you.

David
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LZoltowski
Champion

lenne0815 said:

Jpg / sbs stereo / oculus gallery. For the question if you can move from room to room, there seems to be a deep misunderstanding on your side how a simple stereo picture can be interacted with. If you want to explore your geometry on the go you either need a viewer for max files or import them to unity and make a native go app.

I think he was after the "point at a hot link within an image" method to take him to the text image, rather than full motion.

Side by Side (sbs) and jpg
You can use Oculus Gallery app that is built in
3. It comes with a remote, so can I create points to transport the user from one room to the next, and how?
Unfortunately, you cannot do that with the default app, I don't know of any GearVR or Oculus GO app that would let you do that currently, it has a Next image and previous Image buttons so perhaps you could queue them up in order?
5. Are there any youtube video tutorials that will explain this exact workflow?

There are quite a few tutorials online for creating 360 3d Panoramas with VRay and on youtube, so just give that a go.

Here is the documentation from ChaosGroup with regards to the stereoscopic camera within VRay:
https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAX/Stereo+3D+Camera+%7C+VRayStereoscopic
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

lenne0815
Adventurer
Jpg / sbs stereo / oculus gallery. For the question if you can move from room to room, there seems to be a deep misunderstanding on your side how a simple stereo picture can be interacted with. If you want to explore your geometry on the go you either need a viewer for max files or import them to unity and make a native go app.

LZoltowski
Champion

lenne0815 said:

I think he was after the "point at a hot link within an image" method to take him to the text image, rather than full motion.

Side by Side (sbs) and jpg
You can use Oculus Gallery app that is built in
Unfortunately, you cannot do that with the default app, I don't know of any GearVR or Oculus GO app that would let you do that currently, it has a Next image and previous Image buttons so perhaps you could queue them up in order?
5. Are there any youtube video tutorials that will explain this exact workflow?

There are quite a few tutorials online for creating 360 3d Panoramas with VRay and on youtube, so just give that a go.

Here is the documentation from ChaosGroup with regards to the stereoscopic camera within VRay:
https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAX/Stereo+3D+Camera+%7C+VRayStereoscopic
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

jesusrg
Explorer
Best quality you can get 3D 360 with max+vray for mobile device (gearvr and oculus go) is cube 6x1 stereo (12x1) 18.432px X 1.560px png file for Orbx (otoy free app). For tour i build my own apps with unity.

andrew_woodberr
Explorer
For your question... "3. It comes with a remote, so can I create points to transport the user from one room to the next, and how?"

You can easily build in that interactivity into your Go app using a no-coding web-based platform, like the one offered by my company -- https://instavr.co. (we're also compatible with 3ds max & V-ray outputs, including cubemaps)

Or as jesusrg points out, you can use a software option out there to code it yourself into an app.

chettawan
Expert Protege

For your question... "3. It comes with a remote, so can I create points to transport the user from one room to the next, and how?"

You can easily build in that interactivity into your Go app using a no-coding web-based platform, like the one offered by my company -- https://instavr.co. (we're also compatible with 3ds max & V-ray outputs, including cubemaps)

Or as jesusrg points out, you can use a software option out there to code it yourself into an app.

Thanks I'll.try

LabulleCreation
Protege
@LZoltowski and @jesusrg, what is your solution to display stereo cubemaps in Oculus Gallery ? My cubemaps are displayed perfectly in Oculus 360 Photos, but in Gallery they are clearly not.

@chettawan you can try Oculus 360 Photos app, it's great for the quality but it became a downgraded version of itself since last year, unfortunately.

anywhereanytime
Honored Guest
This sounds very cool ... are there any examples of using the Go for architectural design?