cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Productivity apps and tools?

gotgalf
Expert Protege
One thing that I'm missing on the Go is the availability of productivity apps like email clients and document readers, and, of course, a file manager, especially one that can access SMB shares. Is there anything like these?
An in general, can I sideload apps, via ADB, maybe?

3 REPLIES 3

mosbey
Honored Guest
Bigscreen VR is in beta for the Go and claims support for RDP. I don't have a Windows box available to me for this purpose, so I haven't tried it. 
If you put the browser into desktop mode, Microsoft Office 365 Excel loaded fine for me. I'm not going to call it tested - I just bought my Go yesterday and was in Excel for a minute or two. 
I didn't see any in VR file management options, though Mac and PC users can connect to the Go.
I tried posting to a forum via the browser, and found the built-in keyboard tedious after a few sentences. It's good for a tweet, but that's it. It's like typing on a non-swiping, very basic phone keyboard using only one index finger. It works fine, and is quite responsive, but it is what it is. I haven't tried USB OTG adapters or other means of connecting a real keyboard yet. 
I ordered a Pizza online last night via the browser. It was delicious. 
From my shopping, Windows Mixed Reality seems to be a better choice than a Go for this, since it appears you can run arbitrary Windows apps, use external keyboards and mice, and it's all specifically built-in as core functionality. If you have a Windows computer that's strong enough, a headset will cost you about the same as the Go. 
I wanted productivity apps too, but I have a Mac and won't be buying anything new for a few years, so it was a $250 vs $1000 choice. If I had a Windows box already it'd have been a different equation. 

Tpfitz
Protege
I was thinking about this last night as I used my Go for the first time, about how awesome it would be to have a native, non emulated android environment app that at the very least we could side load android apps onto and at the best, have Google Play.

mosbey
Honored Guest
That would be wonderful.