cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export orientation

adroz
Level 4
Hey, I have tried exporting my models that have been created with symmetry. When I import them into blender or ZBrush the orientation of the models is always incorrect and ruins the process by offsetting the symmetry. I have tried hitting center in medium before export but doesn't seem to fix the problem. Are  there any suggestions on how I should be exporting from medium into another sculpting program?
10 REPLIES 10

Mithos56
Level 3
It would be awesome to get some official response on this because I really like how quickly I can make basemeshes, and would love to be able to use medium in my pipeline.

adroz
Level 4

Mithos56 said:

It would be awesome to get some official response on this because I really like how quickly I can make basemeshes, and would love to be able to use medium in my pipeline.

Yep I love it, also a great way to practice your anatomy by building up all your characters muscle groups onto an armature. Hope we get a word back about this. But other then this problem it's a breath of fresh air 🙂

nickzucc
Level 4
 I would love a response to this as well, I started a new scene and a new sculpt and ensure that everything started off with symmetry. I then exported my model to open inside of Maya and the unreal engine, but the model is coming in at a very weird orientation, it almost feels like whatever the viewport vantage point is within side of medium, that somehow takes on the orientation at export time. 

While we are talking about exporting them all out, I can't help to think how beneficial it would be to be able to import a model back into the program into the same location, I  would really like to start using this tool in a meaningful way for my art production pipeline, and currently it's pretty good for sketching out ideas and pushing them out, but that is about it.  It would be nice if we could bounce back-and-forth between various programs to get better results! 

MattHickman
Level 8
We are working on a much more predictable sculpt origin and pivots right now actually. They'll likely be in the next update coming soon. 

P3nT4gR4m
Level 12

We are working on a much more predictable sculpt origin and pivots right now actually. They'll likely be in the next update coming soon. 

Reading this was music to my eyes! I just quoted it so I could read it again  ❤️

nosferalatu
Level 4
As Matt says, this will be improved in the next update. In the meantime, the origin used by Medium's exporter can be seen if you enable the ground grid. The origin of that grid is the origin used for the exported file:
je04dx4vzkit.png

For example, if you want the symmetry plane to be at the origin, you'd move the sculpt so that the symmetry plane is aligned with the ground grid origin like this:
8je3e281flnn.png

You can read more about the Medium's export pipeline in the guide here: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52947/medium-export-pipeline-guide

As Matt said, this will be improved in the next update, but hopefully this helps you out in the meantime.

adroz
Level 4

Great news guys, Loved the last big update! Keep up the good work! The main advantage to me with the mirror plane aligned exactly on the origin on export is when you create a symmetrical object and want to export out to say Topogun or Blender for retopologizing your sculpt to a game ready asset having the sculpt export out mirrored exactly on the world origin would make to process much more streamlined and also of course it would help if you want to do a final detail pass is say ZBrush on a symmetrical object you could import and just turn on mirror and off you go! 🙂 no worries about trying to align your sculpt. However if your object/character is not symmetrical to begin with well then the export orientation is not so critical.

Sterling77
Level 8
It takes me about 3mins to center and check the mirror in Zbrush - granted it would be good to keep the 3 mins for something else - its not really a huge deal - patience is the best tool at the moment, the guys at medium are doing their best 🙂 
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook

milos
Level 3
I have version 1.1.2. and it exports it uncentered;
In symmetry plane there is no option to do a world center
There are also no updates to the app available
Any suggestions?