cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need advices to start scluilpt high resolution portraits.

Dan1018
Adventurer
Which settings should I choose and which workflow is it the best if I wish to sculpt high reolution portraits please?
Any suggestions/link to tutorials would be really greateful.
for example is it possible to set a default resolution before start to scuilpt?

thx.
23 REPLIES 23

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Start low and only upres when you really need to. Don't worry too much about resolution. It's a feel-thing. Concentrate on the sculpting and the res will work itself out. Always remember you can downres if you get ahead of yourself.

Dan1018
Adventurer

P3nT4gR4m said:

Start low and only upres when you really need to. Don't worry too much about resolution. It's a feel-thing. Concentrate on the sculpting and the res will work itself out. Always remember you can downres if you get ahead of yourself.

the default resolution is ok to start or even lower? does exist a way to read somwhere on which value of resolution I'm working? because when I change resolution the software do not tell me at what resolution I'm in.

If I work on high resoulution details, and than I switch to low resolution, will I lost all my detailed work? or if I switch back to high resolution it will retrive my fine work in details? thx

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Yeah, downresing is destructive. It's not like zbrush or blender where you can whiz back and forward. That said, if your problematically hires (ie. you're getting memory warnings) it's a get out of jail card 😉

Dan1018
Adventurer

P3nT4gR4m said:

Yeah, downresing is destructive. It's not like zbrush or blender where you can whiz back and forward. That said, if your problematically hires (ie. you're getting memory warnings) it's a get out of jail card 😉

thx again for reply, I have a gtx 1070 is my GPU enough good in your opinion?

I hope the developers will patch Medium giving a non desctrutive back and forward downresizig as zbrush and blender do!

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Your GPU is more than up to the job, it's RAM that Medium eats. 16gig is bare minimum but 32 is preferable. Especially for hires stuff

Dan1018
Adventurer

P3nT4gR4m said:

Your GPU is more than up to the job, it's RAM that Medium eats. 16gig is bare minimum but 32 is preferable. Especially for hires stuff

yes I have 32gb, and CPU is i7 5820k (6core) is it ok?

Dan1018
Adventurer
considering that the downresing is destructive isn't it too hard to scuilp using medium?

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Nope. Medium is vr. After you've sculpted in vr, going back to flatscreen is like using crayons 

DeadlyJoe
Rising Star

dan108 said:

considering that the downresing is destructive isn't it too hard to scuilp using medium?

It's difficult to sculpt very fine details, primarily because Medium doesn't have an alpha brush tool like ZBrush or Blender. We're hoping that alpha brushes are coming in a future update.

What Medium is extremely good at is blocking out models very quickly. I can sketch an entire character, head to toe, in Medium in 30 to 40 minutes, which would take me hours to do in Blender.  So, a lot of people are using Medium to sculpt the base model, and then exporting the mesh to ZBrush or Blender to add the details, textures, and render the final product.

Here is a dragon head that I did this morning which took 11 minutes.  The professionals, like Glen Southern of SouthernGFX, who work on this kind of art every single day, can do sketches like this even faster.

q7q498nd14ey.png