cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LZoltowski Sketchbook

LZoltowski
Champion
Hey, so I have been using Medium more as a collaboration space with clients using existing models, but decided to start doing my own thing 🙂

Decided to do a quick doodle myself to figure out workflows between it and Substance and Redshift renderer .. Was super quick, gave me an idea for a proper sculpt which I will chronicle here 🙂

3hfi8eqrxu6l.jpgxo2b616nxyut.jpgkplx5jpw43v0.jpg2jby6z24zvsq.jpgfp633y3s57pf.jpg
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
72 REPLIES 72

LZoltowski
Champion
Blocking in the rest of the body. My machine is starting to sweat lol ... will refine the details tomorrow.

7ccnoo05bay8.jpg
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Anonymous
Not applicable
Amazing pose! Really brings it to life!

LZoltowski
Champion
Okay, finished with this .. onto the next thing .. want to practice anatomy, so might do a WOW ogre 🙂

Here is the finished piece, modelled entirely Medium. Textured in Substance Painter (love that software, this was my first time using it after @P3nT4GR4m recommended it. It's so intuitive and if you know photoshop, the learning curve is so small) Rendered in 3ds max using Redshift GPU renderer. I might make this 3d print ready in the future.

f2uwtci7uhsh.jpg

8lhqtxn6zlxz.jpg

lrx2r23lohlv.jpg

Be kind to one another 🙂

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Result! Glad you like it. Nothing worse than bigging up software only to find out the  other person hates it

LZoltowski
Champion

P3nT4gR4m said:

Result! Glad you like it. Nothing worse than bigging up software only to find out the  other person hates it

Oh my gosh, I always shied away from software like that as it was overly complicated. I have used ZBrush before .. its great but Medium changed me ... The Substance suite has done the same thing for me with regards to finishing and texturing. I found a twitter post detailing your story where you yourself haven't really been a 3d artist before .. and that Medium has unlocked that potential in you. Can't wait to see what you do next!

Be kind to one another 🙂

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Yeah, mate, it's a total trip. I always understood the basics but I was in a place where there was so much technical stuff to wade through before I could even begin with the art-part that I just got fed up and sacked it. With medium I've been able to iterate through the art bit so quickly and effortlessly that now I feel like I'm coming at it from the other end - I have a finished sculpt now and that gives me the motivation to learn the technical crap to polish it up.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Amazing!
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

LZoltowski
Champion
So, decided to start the next project, a full body anatomy exercise (this is my 2nd proper sculpt in VR), ... but to do that I needed a head .. so decided to do a quick half an hour session tonight ... well .. Half a bottle of wine and 2 hours later .. .... I have started creating the head, where did the time go?!  It's going to be an angry orc!

Will be posting my updates on the project here, like before, from the head to body to full texture. I am so excited!

From someone who has never done a full 3d creature sculpt .. to being able to make anything effortlessly ..

So here is the rough start on the head. 

tji6br4b2giy.jpg

Be kind to one another 🙂

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Go for it!!! One piece of advice, based on recent experiments - if you're planning a retop then sculpt the medium stage with that in mind. Little details like filling in the eye sockets then dupe the eyes and do a boolean subtract to get clean shapes at the back will save a ton of arsing around at retop stage. Basically don't leave any jaggy, porous areas even if you think they're going to be hidden.

Also I'd advise resisting the urge to break symmetry until after retopping because then you only have half the work to do.