cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medium Crash on Startup: How to Fix?

alxmars_
Honored Guest
I just bought an Oculus Rift + Touch, and got it set up this last Saturday (August 11, 2018).  I'm really excited to use Medium, and it's the single biggest reason why I got VR, and why I chose Oculus Rift specifically!

Unfortunately, I installed the Medium app first, and I haven't been able to get it to work.  I've downloaded and tried multiple other VR apps since then, and all the ones I've tried so far work without issue (including Quill, Robo Recall, and Skyrim VR via Steam).  So far this problem seems to be specific to Medium.

This post of a similar question from August 8th with a helpful answer seems like the most complete set of recommendations, all of which I believe I have tried.  Here's a list of what I've done in approximately the order I tried it in:
  1. Reinstalled NVIDIA GeForce drivers normally (once express install, once clean custom install, once again normal install with stopped services, restarting services after full install and system reboot).  I seem to be on the correct and current version, per the GeForce experience app and seemingly my device manager, v398.82 (screenshots included).  I notice that it's a slightly newer version than mentioned in the post I linked.
  2. Deleted 'My Preferences' folder in Documents/Medium (I didn't have to make one myself).
  3. Oculus HMD is plugged directly into GPU.
  4. Reinstalled Medium itself 3 times
  5. Reinstalled Oculus app from scratch, and then medium again (just once)
  6. Repeat step #1: stop service, reinstall driver, restart Oculus and try to start Medium.
  7. Restarting my PC at various times during these steps
Here are my abbreviated specs:
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor 3.00GHz
  • RAM: 16GB 
That said, looking over the last lines of the logs, it seems to be an issue with Vulkan.  Googling the problem didn't seem to get me anything useful (inserted extra newlines for formatting):
08/13/18 18:15:58 : Vulkan verify failure (-4) at line 493 of src\Vulkan\renderDeviceVulkan.cpp

08/13/18 18:15:58 : Vulkan verify failure (-4) at line 493 of src\Vulkan\renderDeviceVulkan.cpp

I'm attaching a zip file with the entire log folder, plus relevant screenshots (including those of my specs) according to GeForce.

I'll also be emailing a summary to medium@oculus.com.  Thanks so much for your time!  I can't wait to use Medium!
10 REPLIES 10

jessicazeta
Heroic Explorer
Hey @passghost, it sounds like your 970 probably doesn't have updated graphics drivers. Please read the thread about this specific issue! It would also be helpful for you to collect logs so we may help you more specifically: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/69965/are-you-unable-to-start-medium-are-you-crashi...