cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medium crash on startup.

zackfine123
Honored Guest
Hi everyone,
I open medium from the oculus app, then get a blank white window labeled “oculus medium” and a fatal error message: “Medium has crashed”, I’ve tried common solutions: restarting everything, in/reinstalling medium, editing the directories, all did nothing. All of my other apps work, and only oculus (and non-functioning medium) are running. How can I get medium working again?
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

jessicazeta
Heroic Explorer
Hey @zackfine123, you may want to try one of the following:
  • Please make sure you’ve updated to the latest graphic card drivers (NVIDIA 398.36, AMD 18.6.1 at this writing). If you think you have updated, try to stop the Oculus Runtime service, uninstall and reinstall your GFX drivers, and then start the service once more.

• Please delete your entire Preferences folder in My Documents/ Medium and restart Medium.

• It may be possible that you need to make a Medium folder in My Documents (this could be a problem with computers with multiple users and Administrators).

• Make sure your HMD is plugged into your GPU.

Also, if Riftcore beta 2.0 is additionally not working on your machine (along with Medium), then that is indicative of something weird happening with Vulkan, the graphics backend both experiences are built from. We've noticed that when this happens, the fix is to uninstall and reinstall the entire Oculus app (This is a pain for sure but definitely works!).

Try those and let us know what happens!

View solution in original post

jessicazeta
Heroic Explorer
@zackfine123 - Did you end up trying any of these and getting it to work?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jessicazeta
Heroic Explorer
Hey @zackfine123, you may want to try one of the following:
  • Please make sure you’ve updated to the latest graphic card drivers (NVIDIA 398.36, AMD 18.6.1 at this writing). If you think you have updated, try to stop the Oculus Runtime service, uninstall and reinstall your GFX drivers, and then start the service once more.

• Please delete your entire Preferences folder in My Documents/ Medium and restart Medium.

• It may be possible that you need to make a Medium folder in My Documents (this could be a problem with computers with multiple users and Administrators).

• Make sure your HMD is plugged into your GPU.

Also, if Riftcore beta 2.0 is additionally not working on your machine (along with Medium), then that is indicative of something weird happening with Vulkan, the graphics backend both experiences are built from. We've noticed that when this happens, the fix is to uninstall and reinstall the entire Oculus app (This is a pain for sure but definitely works!).

Try those and let us know what happens!

jessicazeta
Heroic Explorer
@zackfine123 - Did you end up trying any of these and getting it to work?

zackfine123
Honored Guest
Sorry for the late reply,
The solution was updating my graphics drivers, they were significantly outdated and medium worked right after the update. Thanks for your help,
Zack