cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medium uses 100% CPU and RAM when dealing with imported meshes

stayinwonderland
Explorer
I put a bunch of reference meshes in the import folder and opened Medium then loaded them into the import window. After that, Medium slowed right down and Windows totally froze. I rebooted and tried again but with less apps open and was just about able to end task Medium. Tried again but deleted a few meshes out of the Reference Meshes folder but they still live inside Medium's import window and again, caused a massive surge in CPU/RAM.

Details of the newly added meshes: 6 x 16mb OBJ files, each around 65k polys.
5 REPLIES 5

DeadlyJoe
Rising Star
65k triangles isn't much; Those are very small files. How much RAM do you have in your system? Keep in mind that Medium is extremely RAM heavy. The minimum that I can recommend is 16GB. But many long-time users of Medium, including myself, run with 32GB.

stayinwonderland
Explorer
well, I further diagnosed the issue. I put a file with textures in the ref mesh folder. I'm pretty sure it's when dealing with those textures that it starts to freeze up because I am able to very quickly grab a mesh from the import window, bring it into the world and close the import window before things lock up. However, the ONE mesh that can still cause it to break is the one with the textures. I bring that into Oculus, and you start to see the texture appearing in little squares on the mesh when it's in the world. Then I lose visual orientation, it stutters, and locks up my whole computer.

I have 32 gigs of ram. Now... I have removed those meshes from the folder inside windows, but they STILL appear in Oculus. If I could find a way to clear them outside of Oculus, that would solve the problem. I'd then try it all again using texture-less models just to make sure that was the issue.

stayinwonderland
Explorer
Anyone?

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
The _import folder is just a temporary place. When you import them through medium they get copied into "Reference Meshes" under your user name then either "Custom" or a sub folder depending how you imported them. Each ref mesh will have a corresponding .asset and .binmesh file in that folder. Delete all 3 and you should be good

stayinwonderland
Explorer
awesome, that fixed it instantly. Thanks 🙂